VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

VA Burial benefits

Berta

Question

https://www.cem.va.gov/cem/burial_benefits/

I have done many death shows here at hadit and at our former radio station-but I noticed today that VA has a pamphlet that can certainly help others prepare for the death of a veteran. It seems to cover quite a bit.

It suggests getting 12 copies of the Death Certificate. Fairly soon after my husband died, - I needed at least 12,  probably needed one more for my Nehmer AO claim many years later-

I wrote my husband's Obit with all of his medals ,decorations in it and the funeral director compared it to his DD215 and said he would publish it , as I had written it.

I also stated he was a service connected Vietnan combat veteran in the Obit and heard from the American Legion right away for a full Military Funeral.

Also I wrote part of the Chapel service too- as the VA Chaplain knew him but sure didn't know much about his service in Vietnam. The Chapel had a lot of the VA vets there-

and one of his PTSD docs came too. One vet took great photos of the service in the Cemetery- got good shots of the volley and the gunsmoke and when I was presented the flag.

24 years ago last month- seems like yesterday.

I am pretty well prepared for my death- have important stuff in a Death File- My plot deed at the National Cemetery, the will, my DNR and health care proxy, and years ago I made my main beneficiary the co -owner of my bank acounts- and have my Insurance Policies also in that file-also that I am an organ donor and the stuff my church will need to know.

Probably the VA link covers all that.....

Jim Strickland ( VA Watchdog) told me he has written an entire book for his wife-for when he dies.

All else I have done so far is put photos of how all of how my PC stuff and TVs are hooked up and a photo of where the lid is to my septic tank., where the well is, ..stuff like that.

And have given my daughter our web site link.

It gives me great piece of mind to know I am trying to make that all easy for her.

We lost a community member on Thanksgiving morning here-I hope the family knows she is eligible for burial at the local National Cemetery. They can put her into her husband's grave, and then VA will put her name on the back of the headstone.

The Bath NY VAMC National Cemetery is absolutely beautiful- I always see bunnies and deer tracks there when it snows.Many Civil War vets there-too.But it sure has filled up fast in the past 24 years.

https://www.cem.va.gov/cem/docs/factsheets/Planning_Legacy_Booklet.pdf

Edited by Berta

2 answers to this question

Actually I started thinking about this after Rod died-I am in very good health ,not going anywhere yet!

I only take one prescribed med-- 2 statin pills a week at low dose , exercize and eat the right food.

I worked outside a lot as well-in jobs and when I raised livestock- I think hard work and being in fresh air ,when one can do it, keeps people healthy.

I have met so many widows and widowers -at VA, locally, in my church, and here- and there is so much to do when a veteran dies, particularly if the surviving spouse has a potential for any VA benefits at all.