Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Cancer linked to Agent Orange Exposure

Rate this question

bolt_vet23

Question

My father was diagnosed today with prostate cancer and the doctor found cancer on his kidney.  The doctor (private) said that the prostate cancer is connected to his service in Vietnam and exposure to Agent Orange.  Since the cancer was found in two locations, it makes things from a medical perspective a bit more complicated.  I believe my father has 10% disability for hearing loss…should be more for several other issues, but he was too proud to complain or be completely open with the VA doctor during the exam. 

I’ve tried to call the VA today to figure out what they can do from a medical and compensation perspective, but the main 800 number just goes in circles.  Based on my understanding of the Agent Orange process, the cancer is clearly related to Agent Orange based on the VA’s list of presumptive illnesses and no proof is required other than service records.  My question is should we just submit a fully developed claim online or schedule an appointment with his VA doctor? 

Hopefully this makes sense.  Appreciate the help.

• Answers 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

2 answers to this question

I am typing this on my cell phone so i apologize for any typos. 

The VA is not going to answer the call center line today because it is a federal holiday and they are not working. 

A fully developed claim denotes that you are submitting everything needed to process the claim other than federal records. 

Under CFR 38 3.309 (e), prostatectomy cancer is a presumptive condition conceded to herbicide (agent orange) exposure. Kidney cancer is not  

What I would suggest is looking through your father’s personnel file  Look through anything that would concede Vietnam service in country.  Start with his DD 214. Some DD 214s have a box that will or will not be checked that mentions service in Indochina (Vietnam.)  If not, look for what unit he was attached with; sometimes it denotes that he was in Vietnam.  If not, look at any medals he might have been awarded. Awards such as a combat infantry badge, combat medic badge, Purple Heart, bronze star with valor device, Silverstar with valor device, etc.,  will concede combat exposure which would mean that he was in Vietnam. Vietnam service medals, Vietnam campaign medals,despite the name, does not concede service in Vietnam as there are several veterans that receive those that never stepped foot in Vietnam. Failing that, look throughout his whole personnel file; if he was in Vietnam, there will more than likely be a record of him having gone there for a period of time (look for something like “RVN”.) Failing that, look through his service treatment records; dental records are more likely than medical records have stamps denoting placement in Vietnam. 

Do not send pictures of your father in Vietnam.  We can’t use those.

As far as medical evidence goes, I would send in all of your private treatment records from the the doctor that your father saw that diagnosed his prostate and kidney cancer.  It will be imperative to include medical records showing biopsy records records of each cancerous region!

If you want to get ahead of the game, have the doctor fill out the appropriate cancer DBQ for prostate cancer and bladder cancer.  If the medical evidence shows, or the examiner opened that the prostate cancer metasticized ro the kidney, he could claim the kidney cancer secondary to the prostate cancer. 

Have the examiner also examine him for any other potential secondary issues that could arise from prostate cancer ie erectile dysfunction and claim that as well.  Make sure that you have the C file as the doctor will need to say that he saw that before filling out the DBQ.  

Best of luck

Edited by dajoker12

I hope you filed the claim.  If not, do it ASAP.  Prostate cancer is presumptive condition and it's pretty easy to file.

My husband was diagnosed in 2017 with prostate cancer ~ vietnam vet (in country with DD214 showing so).  Erectile dysfunction claim also. 

Claim filed 12/17 was granted in 2/18.  $3336.15  per month ~ it is a lot of money to not file the claim. 

My husband was like your father ~ really didn't want to file the claim.  His doctor point blank told him to do it & did all the DBQ's immediately following diagnosis.

Filed online through ebenefits.  You might have to go through VA.gov now.  Submitted DD214, DBQs, surgery papers, pathology report.