Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Cubital tunnel denial

Rate this question

JLuke

Question

I filed for Cubital Tunnel syndrome and I was denied for Carpal Tunnel.  Not what I filed for!  Do I need to appeal or reapply? When I was AD USAF I had an issue with my left hand and they xrayed it and did not diagnose me with cubital tunnel, just said hand was deformed in 1993. The VA also misdagnosed it in 2016. It is definitely a misdiagnosed symptom of cubital tunnel that I am now diagnosed with by the VA. I am currently awaiting my call to get my surgery scheduled. I appreciate all your thoughts!

4 answers to this question

File an appeal.  Its one of VA's favorite denial techniques.  You could lose out on your effective date if you reapply instead.  

Get your decision's reasons and bases, and explain in your nod what you mentioned, above.  

If you have new evidence, then opt for supplemental claim lane.  If you are 100 percent certain, that you DONT have new evidence, only then opt for HLR.  If in doubt, opt for SCL.    Once you opt for HLR, you cant submit new evidence.  

Dont opt for HLR unless you have a recent copy of your cfile and know everything is in there.  

A Cfile is your history file with the VA.  It should have all medical records generated by the VA and decision letters.  You may request it by going to your rep and filing an FIOA request.  You should also be able to request it through ebenefits.