Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

SMC for Aid and Attendance

Rate this question

msvj3

Question

My e benefits account was updated today with my increase.  I was 90% with 10% TDIU.  Now I am 100% P &T.  I applied for Aid and Attendance.  Should my e benefits show that I was awarded SMC L, if it was granted or should it be seen in my benefits letter?  Neither of them say it.

3 answers to this question

Aid & attendance its not going to happen just because you asked for it... You will either be required to attend a C/P exam or   You will have to have VA Form 21-2680  (EXAMINATION FOR HOUSEBOUND STATUS OR PERMANENT NEED FOR REGULAR AID AND ATTENDANCE) filled out by your doctor. Once a determination is made concerning the SMC you will receive a rating decision just like you would for any other claim. You need to understand that you have to show an actual need for aid and attendance . 

I am not a lawyer so take my opinions with a grain of salt...

If I had listened to the nay sayers, I would never have acheived any ratings after I was awarded TDIU in 1999. Now I have not one but two 100% ratings, a TDIU  and 4 SMC awards !  I say JUST GO For It

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.” -Albert Einstein.

Hi,

My doctor did submit the form and I had a c&P exam for an increase.  I see the 100% combine disability final on e-benefits but the aid and attendance is not there.  I am distraught because I really need help.  My husband is sick too.  I have someone that comes in to help me, but I can't afford to pay her.  I don't have any where else to turn.  I have to wait for the decision letter to see what happened.  

5 hours ago, msvj3 said:

I have someone that comes in to help me, but I can't afford to pay her. 

I can tell you that the  basic  aid and attendance allowance will not be enough to pay for a private care giver. I have Aid & Attendance at L 1/2 while it is more compensation, it does not pay for a caregiver. If you are so needy that you require the aid of someone ( sounds like 24 hours a day ) then you should apply for the care giver program if you are a post 9/11 veteran . If your husband is also so sick then he may qualify for aid and attendance as well. It seems to me you may need to talk to a veteran counselor to find out all of your possibilities and rights as a veteran. I wish you the best...

I am not a lawyer so take my opinions with a grain of salt...

If I had listened to the nay sayers, I would never have acheived any ratings after I was awarded TDIU in 1999. Now I have not one but two 100% ratings, a TDIU  and 4 SMC awards !  I say JUST GO For It

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.” -Albert Einstein.