Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Gaf Scores

Rate this question

Berta

Question

I read this decision the other day carefully as I have situation where the vet is questioning his GAF score-long story there-and maybe he will understand better the way VA views GAF-

only one of many records of evidence they use to determine "hypothetical continuum"

"In assessing the evidence of record, it is important to note

that the GAF score is a scale reflecting the "psychological,

social, and occupational functioning on a hypothetical

continuum of mental health-illness."

http://www.va.gov/vetapp06/files2/0609739.txt

The veteran's rep fought for higher rating from 50%:

"The veteran's representative has contended that this

examination is inadequate as the noted symptomatology is not

consistent with the global assessment of functioning (GAF)

score provided. As discussed in the following decision, the

Board finds that the GAF is consistent with the reported

symptomatology and, especially, the findings on the mental

status examination. Therefore, the August 2003 examination

is adequate for rating purposes"

This is a fairly long decision----

"ORDER

Entitlement to an evaluation for PTSD in excess of 50 percent

disabling is denied"

The BVA cites See Mauerhan v. Principi, 16 Vet. App. 436

(2003).

This case might help someone out there understand that the GAF is only part of the whole- an important part but nevertheless there are many other considerations that did not warrant higher PTSD rating in this case.

The BVA raised key issues that did not reflect the veteran should be rated higher-

although I think the vet should appeal to the CAVC-but still the decision seems quite sound.

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.

• Answers 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I still say they're only "important" if they are high, not low.

Besides, how can a vet get lots of LOW GAFs yet that "doesn't jive with the rest of the evidence?"

It doesn't make any sense...but then perhaps I'm not insane ENOUGH to see that. ;-)

Vets should avoid high GAFs if that's possible. Even the so-called "not that important" can derail you.

-- John D.

Edited by cloudcroft

70% TDIU/P&T

Army - RVN - 1969-70 (10th Cav/4th ID, II Corps RVN)

USCG - Galveston, TX - 1976-78 (USCGC Valiant, WMEC 621)

• HadIt.com Elder

GAF scores can flutuate from morning thru afternoon, doctor by doctor they really are a judgement opinion, that is why the claim is not rated solely on the GAF score day to day as you are well aware we all have good and bad days some even worse than bad lol

100% SC P&T PTSD 100% CAD 10% Hypertension and A&A = SMC L, SSD
a disabled American veteran certified lol
"A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step."

• HadIt.com Elder

Someone said it earlier better than me but they use GAF if they are high and ignore if they are low.

Edited by Pete53

Veterans deserve real choice for their health care.

• HadIt.com Elder

most severe rated PTSD vets with very low GAF's on a regular basis do not usually have a steady career hsitory nor a successful family life, they have multiple marriages, alcohol or susbstance abuse problems, relationship problems with everyone, family and co-workers etc, it's hard to argue you are severely impacted by PTSD and are living the Ozzie and harriet life they severe disagnosis and reality do not usually fit into the "ideal" life history

100% SC P&T PTSD 100% CAD 10% Hypertension and A&A = SMC L, SSD
a disabled American veteran certified lol
"A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step."

• Founder

agreed c and p exams are no place for the strong silent type :lol: i understand why you protect your wife, but just be honest with the c and p examiner you don't have to protect them and you must let enough of your protective outer shell down enough to let the c and p doctor in. harder said than down, perhaps try visulazation sometimes that helps for me, when you go into the c and p visualize rolling down a window you have control over the window and you can roll it back up as soon as the exam is finished. it may sound silly, but i try a lot of things like this to help me.

Tbird

Founder HadIt.com Veteran To Veteran LLC - Founded Jan 20, 1997

HadIt.com Veteran To Veteran | Community Forum | RallyPointFaceBook | LinkedInAbout Me

Time Dedicated to HadIt.com Veterans and my brothers and sisters: 65,700 - 109,500 Hours Over Thirty Years

diary-a-mad-sailor-signature-banner.png

I am writing my memoirs and would love it if you could help a shipmate out and look at it.

I've had a few challenges, perhaps the same as you. I relate them here to demonstrate that we can learn, overcome, and find purpose in life.

The stories can be harrowing to read; they were challenging to live. Remember that each story taught me something I would need once I found my purpose, and my purpose was and is HadIt.com Veterans.

• HadIt.com Elder

1968 Army brings up something I think very important. Many folks with PTSD and anxiety are afraid to spill thier guts to anyone at the VA. Lets face it we don't trust Docs nor people at the VA. We fear that if we speak about our demons we will end up locked up in the nut ward at the VA.

I suggest that you consider writing a narative of how difficult it is for you to answer C&P questions and write a narative of what you have not told them to pass over to them at the C&P.

Good Luck and maybe you should not take your wife into the PTSD C&P. I would rarely say this I usually recommend taking a witness.

Veterans deserve real choice for their health care.