Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Marine Medical Records Hidden (north Carolina--2004)

Rate this question

Guest Morgan

Question

Guest Morgan

Veterans' medical records intentionally hidden by US Marine Corps Hospital employees.

The Cherry Point Marine Air Station base hospital located at Havelock, NC is the subject of an investigation about hidden medical records. These records would apply to Navy and Marine personnel (and retirees). Such missing records could have significant impact on past and pending VA service connected claims.

There were more than 1,000 medical documents covering a period of 1989 through 2001 (The hospital was not built and occupied until 1994). The investigative article by award winning AP reporter Pat Stith of the Raleigh New & Observer (10/3/2004) stated, "... hospital personnel apparently climbed onto a chair or desk, lifted a ceiling tile, and dropped them into the space behind the drywall."

The records were discovered December 20, 2001 when Hospital officials tore through the wall investigating the rumors of missing records. The facts came to light when a Federal District Judge, the honorable Louise W. Flanigan, refused to allow the government's motion for "privilege" so the government would continue to hide these underlying facts in a medical - malpractice case against the hospital.

For this informative article, see:

http://www.newsobserver.com/news/nc/ncwire...p-7946535c.html

Veterans with past or present claims who were treated at the Cherry Point Marine Air Station should see a vet representative to reopen past claims if there was or is evidence that the Hospital failed to provide all medical records to the VA for a pending service connected claim. The N&O article by Pat Stith should be cited as the reason and the new and material evidence for reopening the claim.

The fact that a veteran's past records are not located among the 1,000 documents discovered does not end the VA inquiry since the N&O article contained quotes that other hospital records were destroyed. This situation requires that the veteran submit an affidavit under penalty of perjury that the veteran's visits to the hospital were not documented and that the VA should believe the veteran's testimony about the missing records rather than the RO and BVA "standard" conclusions that there were no records showing diagnosis or symptoms.

Edited by Morgan

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

Reminds me of stories from decades ago when some postal employees threw mail away rather than go to the trouble of delivering it.

The article was not available when I tried to access it, but I hope whoever was involved is prosescuted to the full extent of the law.

Ron

Edited by Ron II

Does anyone know what other years are involved. I have missing records. I am sure they were taking by my CO-long story, but who knows, maybe I am wrong.