Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Supplemental Claim Question

Rate this question

JKWilliamsSr

Question

I filed a FDC an Sept 16th and when it moved to Evidence Gathering more than half the disabilities I claimed were no longer listed.   I learned that this was because I improperly filed some of the claims.  The claims in question were to be reopened or were secondary to the reopened claims.  The claims to be reopened were already past the appeal date.  What I did not know was that these claims were to be filed as supplemental claims.   I am in the process of getting all of that together but had some questions about evidence submission.

All of my new claims or increases are being worked and I have a C&P exam scheduled for the first week of October for DBQ’s.  I have an IME for all of my disabilities but as we all know the VA requires DBQ’s as well.

Under my current claims all of the evidence I submitted has been uploaded and is listed when I view the uploaded documents. Even the evidence for the claims that were removed.  For example one of the claims I wanted to reopen was for foot disabilities.  It has been removed from my current claim but all the evidence I submitted to support it is still there.   The statement in support of claim to reopen,  The statement in support of claim with my personal statement and all the medical evidence including SMR’s that show the claimed disability was in my service records all along.  

When I submit the supplemental claim do I need to resubmit all of this evidence all over again or should I just submit a statement stating that all the evidence has already been uploaded?

2 answers to this question

A little secret about filing claims with the VA.  When you submit the corrected claim resubmit the evidence for that claim.  The VA may ay that they already have that evidence and that is all well and good.  If you do not submit the evidence do not expect the VA to go back on previously submitted claims and look there for evidence.  The VA will do the minimum research required to process your claim.  The VA's job is to process any claim for disability in the way that gives the veteran maximum benefit.  This is a great tag line but do not believe it.  An example is your claims that they dropped for not being filed correctly.  It used to be that you could file a claim by writing the VA and asking for a benefit but those days are gone. 

12 hours ago, vetquest said:

A little secret about filing claims with the VA.  When you submit the corrected claim resubmit the evidence for that claim.  The VA may ay that they already have that evidence and that is all well and good.  If you do not submit the evidence do not expect the VA to go back on previously submitted claims and look there for evidence.  The VA will do the minimum research required to process your claim.  The VA's job is to process any claim for disability in the way that gives the veteran maximum benefit.  This is a great tag line but do not believe it.  An example is your claims that they dropped for not being filed correctly.  It used to be that you could file a claim by writing the VA and asking for a benefit but those days are gone. 

Thanks...  What you said makes perfect sense.   I am going to resubmit all the evidence for the claims that I have to file a supplemental for.