VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

ischemic heart disease

Rate this question

ADAMS

Question

• Answers 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Posted Images

"IHD is rated under Diagnostic Code 7005. The rating criteria are as follows. A 10 percent rating is warranted for a workload of greater than 7 metabolic equivalents (METs) but not greater than 10 METs resulting in dyspnea, fatigue, angina, dizziness, or syncope; or continuous medication required. A 30 percent rating is warranted if a workload between 5 and 7 METs results in dyspnea, fatigue, angina, dizziness, or syncope; or if there is evidence of cardiac hypertrophy or dilatation. A 60 percent rating is warranted if there had been more than one episode of acute congestive heart failure (CHF) in the past year; or if a workload between 3 and 5 METs results in dyspnea, fatigue, angina, dizziness, or syncope; or if there is left ventricular dysfunction with an ejection fraction of 30-50 percent. A 100 percent rating is warranted if there is chronic CHF; or if a workload of 3 METs or less results in dyspnea, fatigue, angina, dizziness, or syncope; or if there is left ventricular dysfunction with an ejection fraction of less than 30 percent. 38 C.F.R. § 4.104, Diagnostic Code 7005 (2017)."

https://www.va.gov/vetapp19/files6/19144427.txt

You claimed the IHD as secondary to your HBP_ do you have a SC rating now for the HBP?

The ECHO states Risk Factors as Hyperlipidemia- are you a diabetic?

Are you an incountry Vietnam veteran or did you serve anywhere else, (even in USA) where you might have been exposed to AO?

to add- I am not a doctor but Ischemic heart disease is often due to affects of hyperlipidemia, ( meaning high cholesterol and high triglycerides- which is a different association than to HBP.

I mention that because I had to prove to the VA-General counsel- that my husband died of IHD, which was never diagnosed or treated by the VA, in spite of high glycericide values, an ECHO revealing severe atherosclerotic heart disease, and 2 EKGs clearly indicating heart disease, and the autopsy confirmed that.

Years later I was able to prove that he also had undiagnosed and untreated Diabetes Mellitus from AO, and I proved that to myself and then I also obtained 3 IMOs that supported my claim.

That is why I asked if you are a diabetic.

19 minutes ago, Berta said:

"IHD is rated under Diagnostic Code 7005. The rating criteria are as follows. A 10 percent rating is warranted for a workload of greater than 7 metabolic equivalents (METs) but not greater than 10 METs resulting in dyspnea, fatigue, angina, dizziness, or syncope; or continuous medication required. A 30 percent rating is warranted if a workload between 5 and 7 METs results in dyspnea, fatigue, angina, dizziness, or syncope; or if there is evidence of cardiac hypertrophy or dilatation. A 60 percent rating is warranted if there had been more than one episode of acute congestive heart failure (CHF) in the past year; or if a workload between 3 and 5 METs results in dyspnea, fatigue, angina, dizziness, or syncope; or if there is left ventricular dysfunction with an ejection fraction of 30-50 percent. A 100 percent rating is warranted if there is chronic CHF; or if a workload of 3 METs or less results in dyspnea, fatigue, angina, dizziness, or syncope; or if there is left ventricular dysfunction with an ejection fraction of less than 30 percent. 38 C.F.R. § 4.104, Diagnostic Code 7005 (2017)."

https://www.va.gov/vetapp19/files6/19144427.txt

You claimed the IHD as secondary to your HBP_ do you have a SC rating now for the HBP?

The ECHO states Risk Factors as Hyperlipidemia- are you a diabetic?

Are you an incountry Vietnam veteran or did you serve anywhere else, (even in USA) where you might have been exposed to AO?

I am SC for Hypertension, I dont have diabetes I have high cholesterol. Gulf war VET.

I am glad you are SCed for the HBP- but not glad you have  HBP----

There certainly is medical associations between HBP as causing IHD:

https://www.webmd.com/hypertension-high-blood-pressure/qa/can-high-blood-pressure-cause-ischemic-heart-disease

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/myocardial-ischemia/symptoms-causes/syc-20375417

But I think you will probably need an IMO/IME to prove the claim.

Secondary conditions can often be obvious ones, bu it seems the VA does not always provide a C & P exam that will support these types of  claims.

A IMO/IME doctor following the IMO criteria here at hadit can rule out any other etiology but for the HBP as the sole cause of the ischemic heart disease. They will give your medical records the first thorough reading they will probably ever get.

Edited by Berta
weather at high altitude

Echocardiograms for IHD seem to be a new thing for C&P exams.  I have always thought that a C&P examiner guessing at your METs level by just asking you questions off of a DBQ was questionable.    A physical stress test should give a more accurate METs level.  I just received a call for my 3rd C&P exam for IHD and it includes an echocardiogram.  You need to get someone who understands the results of your echocardiogram to tell you what it has to do with METs.  As Bertha informed you that IHD falls under Diagnostic Code 7005 and she listed the requirements for the different disability per centages.  The VA dropped the LVEF several months ago and supposedly just going by your METs level . . . that may have changed with the inclusion of echocardiograms.

I would hope so- the EF is a prime indicator of how they factor the percentage of disability.