Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Who do I sue or do I?

Rate this question

Jayco

Question

Drug, Glucophage, I have been taking for years.  One side effect of it is diarrhea which explains the diarrhea I have had for years.  I always thought it was the coffee.  Diarrhea will lower magnesium.  In October I had two seizers and was taken to critical care for 3 days and the recovery ward for another 3 days.  Doctors at that hospital said the seizers were caused by the low magnesium of .2.  Needs to be 1.6 or higher.  They said had I been alone I would have died.  A doctor at my heart hospital said that Glucophage caused the low magnesium for a while.  Now she is saying "may".  The hospitals are the ones who prescribed Glucophage.

Who do I sue or do I?  I am in Thailand.  This occurred in Thailand, so should I get a Thai attorney?  Or, should I get a US attorney?

By the way.  My hospital took me off Glucophage and put me on a new pill.  The next day the diarrhea stopped and I have not had one case of diarrhea since.  Right now I am having to take magnesium supplements not sure for how long.

• Answers 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Well, if you have not been treated by VA, then suing VA is probably going to be unprodcutive.  

Should you so decide you want to persue this, you will need to consider hiring a lawyer to sue the private firm(s) who did treat you.  

My experience,

Medical device malpractice, companies settle when there is a large group, usually in the hundreds, and then you will have to sign a waiver saying that the device had nothing to do with your injury.  Usually big money.  In our case, 35 million, and the lawyers get 40%, or 14 million or 4 years work, not bad, but you and 500 other injured persons get  20-30 thousand dollars each after attorney fees.  The lawyers work without any money from you. You win, but not a bunch.

Hospitals don't usually get sued, they just pass it on to the doctor, unless you slip on their sidewalk, then slip and fall lawyer.

Doctors stick together like glue and will not rat one another out until it becomes to unbearable to stand by a bad doctor which rarely happens.  Lawyers will not take these cases on contingency.  You pay up front or by the hour, unless it is an outright obvious case.  Like they take the wrong leg off.

I have written letters to hospitals and have gotten nurses fired, nurses who refused to give my wife medications directed by doctors, but I don't think there is any money there,

FWIW,

Hamslice

“There is no hook my friend. There's only what we do.”  Doc Holiday 

Like Hamslice said. Look at it as a Mall. The mall is very similar to that of a hospital. So the mall only covers the large building and parking lot. Everything is contracted out be it security, cleaning, and a handyman that changes out the light bulbs. The stores are all independent as well as the food court and they only have to worry about their designated space. And the Mall may have a building manager that comes out only once a month to do a walk through to make sure that everything is in order to prevent liability.

Subrogation,

I almost forgot, subrogation, the kick in the pants after you win your lawsuit and insurance company(s) that pay your healthcare take some of your winnings.

So, the little woman wins, 64K, after lawyer takes their 40%, she gets around 35K.  But wait, once you win, they, by law,  have to notify any or all insurance to include Medicare of the win and then they get first dibs to recoup what you won.  So, now she gets 24K as they are holding back 30% until all subrogation is done.

As any example. 

1.  You get hit by a car and break your leg.  You get your leg fixed and the car insurance pays for it.  You accept your fate and move on, happy as a clam.  Insurance is out what it payed for fixing your leg.

2.  Same story, except you're pissed and you sue.  Four years later, you win $40,000.00.  You're excited.  Ohoh, your lawyer gets $16,000.00.  Not so happy, but still living the dream.  Wait, what, they are deducting $25,000.00 to reimburse the doctor and hospital for your care.  After some other fees, you end up with $8,000.00.  You're pissed.

The little woman is a little miffed as to why the insurance should get anything if they don't participate in the lawsuit, but that's the way it is.

In a real world, the insurance company should do the suing and pay for injured.

Just sayin,

Hamslice

Suing, not that its all cracked up to be!

Edited by Hamslice
cause I can

“There is no hook my friend. There's only what we do.”  Doc Holiday