VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Supplies

Rate this question

imanseau

Question

I'm new to Voc Rehab question. I'm approved, I just started my first semester. I need to order my supplies for my classes. I was told I'd be purchasing them and I'd get reimbursed. I sent my Counselor an email Friday asking how to go about this, sent a followup yesterday, and tried calling today. I'm ok with buying them and putting the paperwork in. I just have no idea how. Should I order my materials, or do I need pre-approval?

4 answers to this question

You should ask your Voc Rehab counselor that question.  My advice?

Go ahead and buy the supplies, but keep the receipt just in case you have to return them because you didnt meet their qualifications for reimbursement.  

• HadIt.com Elder

WAY BACK ABOUT 40 YEARS OR SO AGO  (1974) I went to school and got a check from the VA to help with tuition and supplies like books/paper pen ect,,,ect,,

I took 9 semester hours each school term/course and went to summer classes as well  VA paid for it all  , I Worked during the day and went to school classes at night 4 nights a week for 2 years.

This was known then as the G-I Bill  Voc Rehab is what its called now I think?   it maybe something different.

but yeah keep all your receipts in case the VA will renverse you.

It depends on what chapter you used to qualify. 

I just finished CH31, they bought a laptop, books, pencils, pens, literally everything I needed. Ch35 for dependents only gets a set amount of $$, not supplies.

VR&E (Chapter 31) benefits:

Current State:  Will not change unless Veteran is also eligible for Post-9/11 GI Bill.

·         Full tuition, fees, books, supplies, and any necessary special equipment.

·         Veterans training at foreign schools receive same allowance as above.

·         Veterans training solely in-home or on-line receive same allowance as above.

·         EAA will be paid at rate the Veteran last qualified for while in training.

·         Advance from revolving fund limited to twice the amount of the full-time regular monthly subsistence allowance for a Veteran with no dependents ($1170.22).

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Ch 33 allows 1k per year  for supplies, so the laptop could be included, but not a high $$ one.

Current State:

Based on length of active duty service, entitlement under Post-9/11 GI Bill to a percentage of the following (see “benefit level” on Chapter 33 eligibility screen):

·         Cost of tuition and fees, not to exceed the most expensive in-state undergraduate tuition at a public institution of higher education (paid to school).

·         Monthly housing allowance equal to the basic allowance for housing payable to a military E-5 with dependents, in the same zip code as the school (paid to Veteran).

·         Veterans training at foreign schools receive BAH national average.

·         Veterans training solely on-line receive no monthly allowance.

·         Yearly books and supplies stipend of up to $1000 per year (paid to Veteran).

·         A one-time payment of $500 to certain individuals relocating from highly rural areas.

Edited by pwrslm

Update

I had a class canceled today, so I drove over to the VA office. All my supplies I was requesting are specifically listed in the class syllabus. So I was informed I could just order them, and then we will fill out the reimbursement paperwork. Appointment set for Friday and supplies ordered, they even had me select the 2 day delivery to get the supplies for class in time, well a little late. 

Thanks for the responses!