• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

PSA, RA, and Lupus

Rate this question

Sgt. Wilky

Question

Hello All, 

A two part (but related) question:

I have been diagnosed with PSA, RA, Crystalline Arthritis, and Lupus by private neurologist and rheumatologist. I am now on several (about 9) drugs for these conditions. My RA Doctor opined in a DBQ that this was a most likely than not related to military service. My question is, if you have been rated for this or these conditions, what is your experience with being rated? Are you rated more for being on meds? My case is much more complicated than I can put down right now, but I'm looking at filing for at least an increase. I'm 80% (combined) and I've gone down to two days a week at work because I just don't have the energy to do this anymore.

I am rated with 3 10% "undiagnosed illness" conditions that cover my lower extremities, lower back, and upper back. It's the RA and other arthritis and lupus that would be the diagnoses for these 3 conditions. Is it worth filing the increase? Would it reset my timeline (I've had my current rating for over 11 years now)? I'm tired of fighting the VA but I feel like I need to pick up the pen (which I truly hope is mightier than the sword) and start another fight with them.

Anyway, I'm also reaching out to my VSO to see what they think. I'm willing to provide you all with any info that you might deem helpful if I can.

Thanks,

Sgt. Wilky

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

Hi Sgt. Wilkey I can't speak to your specific disabilities as fortunately, I don't have what you do. But many here will offer that if you have a disability that is s-c and you haven't submitted yet, to do so. Same advise for an increase if your conditions/symptoms have worsened for an already rated s-c disability. You may be close on going for TDIU; working only 2 days a week is most likely got you on the next lay off list. Not many employers can keep someone on working only 2 out of 5. What is your breakdown on your combined rating? Do you have 1 disability rated at  60%, or one rated at 40%? You also have to see if your new disabilities won't duplicate what you already are collecting for your 3 undiagnosed conditions. You have to avoid pyramiding; the VA will undoubtedly try to say, for example that lypis is arthritis,  etc. You need a strong IMO/dbq which counters that argument. And, if you have been at the same ratings for 11 years,  if your conditions have truly gotten worse from your symptoms that got you your ratings originally, you should not worry. Do your homework and go for it.

48 minutes ago, GBArmy said:

Hi Sgt. Wilkey I can't speak to your specific disabilities as fortunately, I don't have what you do. But many here will offer that if you have a disability that is s-c and you haven't submitted yet, to do so. Same advise for an increase if your conditions/symptoms have worsened for an already rated s-c disability. You may be close on going for TDIU; working only 2 days a week is most likely got you on the next lay off list. Not many employers can keep someone on working only 2 out of 5. What is your breakdown on your combined rating? Do you have 1 disability rated at  60%, or one rated at 40%? You also have to see if your new disabilities won't duplicate what you already are collecting for your 3 undiagnosed conditions. You have to avoid pyramiding; the VA will undoubtedly try to say, for example that lypis is arthritis,  etc. You need a strong IMO/dbq which counters that argument. And, if you have been at the same ratings for 11 years,  if your conditions have truly gotten worse from your symptoms that got you your ratings originally, you should not worry. Do your homework and go for it.

Hello!

I'm also curious as to what ratings others may have on the RA, PSA, or Lupus, especially with the stupid meds I'm on, and whether or not the type of meds have an affect on the ratings.

50% PTSD

20%

6- 10%

(I can't remember them all, lol it's 3:00 am here)

Sgt. Wilky

• HadIt.com Elder

Hey Sgt. Quick response is go to  http://www.militarydisabilitymadeeasy.com/vadisabilityrating.html    Research your issues and note that the ratings are based on the extent of the symptoms that you have. Regarding TDIU, you have one hurdle taken care of, your 50% for PTSD. On the same site it talks more about pyramiding. Be sure you are not double dipping.