VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Migraine medical opinion needed?

Rate this question

sgtdjusmc

Question

I came back from deployment in 2018 and did a notice of intent within a year. I just had a C&P for migraines. I submitted a headache journal and a buddy letter from the deployment. 

The DBQ's I have read on here does not have anything about a medical opinion (nexus). I would imagine a positive opinion would be needed as in other disabilities.

thoughts?

• Answers 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

2 answers to this question

Most definitely. Journals and buddy statements are 'lay' evidence, basically opinion that supports your contention. You aren't a doctor though so while you can note occurrences and potential triggers, you can't diagnose yourself and a diagnosis is a really large part of a successful claim. Tying that diagnosis to your Service is most of the rest of it. The buddy Statements and what not are supporting evidence but not medical evidence.

Unless you have doctor's records the dbq IS the medical opinion. 

Mine are diagnosed but not compensable  Since I never filed for them. They prescribed sumatriptan (off label Imitrex) it helps a lot, it just makes me sleepy sometimes and doesn't work all the time unless I take it during onset. 

https://www.healthline.com/health/sumatriptan-oral-tablet

Good luck! Headaches suck. Especially the big ones. 

Edited by brokensoldier244th

3 hours ago, brokensoldier244th said:

Most definitely. Journals and buddy statements are 'lay' evidence, basically opinion that supports your contention. You aren't a doctor though so while you can note occurrences and potential triggers, you can't diagnose yourself and a diagnosis is a really large part of a successful claim. Tying that diagnosis to your Service is most of the rest of it. The buddy Statements and what not are supporting evidence but not medical evidence.

Unless you have doctor's records the dbq IS the medical opinion. 

Mine are diagnosed but not compensable  Since I never filed for them. They prescribed sumatriptan (off label Imitrex) it helps a lot, it just makes me sleepy sometimes and doesn't work all the time unless I take it during onset. 

https://www.healthline.com/health/sumatriptan-oral-tablet

Good luck! Headaches suck. Especially the big ones. 

thanks for the reply. I only got the official diagnose and prescription a few days before the DBQ.  Was using Motrin before that. Guess we shall find out when it comes out.