Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Letter From Md On Service Illness

Rate this question

john6012

Question

A doctor I knew while in the military sent me a letter that states, "I had a degree of inappropriateness and lack of professional decorum, experiencing paranoid ideation and emotional upheavel ranging from joyfullness and elation to dispair accompanied by uncontrollable weeping at work and at home. It is my professional opinion that the individual has a long-standing history of somewhat debilitating clinical depression, manifested by a degree of paranoid ideation and bipolar features with significant mood fluctuations which interferred with his job performance. Unfortunately, due to the intense work atmosphere, the individual was neither identified as being impaired, nor was he properly treated for symptoms of his disorder. As a result, his judgement was degraded at times he was required to perform effectively in a highly important and taxing position. There is no doubt in my mind that the work environment contributed adversely to the individual's psychological condition.

In retrospect, I render the following minimal diagnosis: Clinical depression with paranoid and bipolar features.

I sent the letter to the regiuonal VA office with a short cover letter indicating I would like to reopen my rating file. My question is, is the letter adequate for them to take action and what would be the potential outcome? Do I need to take a letter to the C&P exam and hand it to the examiner? Thanks in advance, John

• Answers 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I am concerned with what kind of doctor wrote this -and when-

I have a good friend who had a similiar type of claim-

He did his job in an 99% exempliary way but exhibited unusual symptoms that then disappeared (while in the Navy)

He was finally awarded Manic bi polar service connection-it took twelve years.

I used his personnel records and a single brief disciplinary action report to help him win his claim.

All good feedback here-I wanted to highlight what Objee said:

"John, you have a good start, but remember that there are three elements to a VA claim:

1. Something happened to you in service,

2. Symptoms of it are still happening to you right now,

3. You can connect the in-service event(s) directly with your present symptoms (known as

continuity of symptomatology).

If you want more than a 0% SC, you have to also show that your ability to earn an income

is reduced or eliminated by today's symptoms"

These are basically the Hickson elements- the three elements needed for a service connected claim-

do you have a current documented diagnosis of a mental condition and the treatment records that show it is a continuance of the symtomatology?

You may well have a medication profile for a mental disorder but VA needs a current diagnosis-

often a vet will get a diagnosis as result of a C & P-

There was a big broohaha with my POA last year- because the vet was denied at the BVA because he did not have a PTSD diagnosis.

The vet and his wife complained to the main office and they-the POA- supported his vet rep (who also is my former vet rep who doesn't have a clue on many claims)

It is possible that this vet does not have PTSD- then again- I bet he does and something went wrong with the handling of his claim and his evidence . I heard he went to the CAVC.

A vet-in my opinion-should not depend on the VA to diagnose them at a C & P-

long before a C & P occurs the vet should have documentation sent to the VARO that supports their actual current diagnosis and current treatment of it.

Edited by Berta

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.

I am concerned with what kind of doctor wrote this -and when-

I have a good friend who had a similiar type of claim-

He did his job in an 99% exempliary way but exhibited unusual symptoms that then disappeared (while in the Navy)

He was finally awarded Manic bi polar service connection-it took twelve years.

I used his personnel records and a single brief disciplinary action report to help him win his claim.

All good feedback here-I wanted to highlight what Objee said:

"John, you have a good start, but remember that there are three elements to a VA claim:

1. Something happened to you in service,

2. Symptoms of it are still happening to you right now,

3. You can connect the in-service event(s) directly with your present symptoms (known as

continuity of symptomatology).

If you want more than a 0% SC, you have to also show that your ability to earn an income

is reduced or eliminated by today's symptoms"

These are basically the Hickson elements- the three elements needed for a service connected claim-

do you have a current documented diagnosis of a mental condition and the treatment records that show it is a continuance of the symtomatology?

You may well have a medication profile for a mental disorder but VA needs a current diagnosis-

often a vet will get a diagnosis as result of a C & P-

There was a big broohaha with my POA last year- because the vet was denied at the BVA because he did not have a PTSD diagnosis.

The vet and his wife complained to the main office and they-the POA- supported his vet rep (who also is my former vet rep who doesn't have a clue on many claims)

It is possible that this vet does not have PTSD- then again- I bet he does and something went wrong with the handling of his claim and his evidence . I heard he went to the CAVC.

A vet-in my opinion-should not depend on the VA to diagnose them at a C & P-

long before a C & P occurs the vet should have documentation sent to the VARO that supports their actual current diagnosis and current treatment of it.

To be truthful, this MD that wrote the letter for me is a friend that is honest and had personal knowledge of my condition. He completed a residency in psychiatry within the military so he is a psychiatrist and probably would write another letter if I asked. The 70% has nothing to do with emotional/mental disorders. The is an entirely new disability that I am attempting to receive s/c. I thought from the content of the letter there would be no question since there is a continuity of symptomology that has worsened and it provides a nexus.

To be truthful, this MD that wrote the letter for me is a friend that is honest and had personal knowledge of my condition. He completed a residency in psychiatry within the military so he is a psychiatrist and probably would write another letter if I asked. The 70% has nothing to do with emotional/mental disorders. The is an entirely new disability that I am attempting to receive s/c. I thought from the content of the letter there would be no question since there is a continuity of symptomology that has worsened and it provides a nexus.

The VA MHC has been treating me for this condition for the past 3-4 years and I cannot work and probably shouldn't be driving.

• HadIt.com Elder

John

See you have a battle on your hands because more than ten years have gone by since you were discharged and you say you hid the symptoms of your mental disorder in the service. I take that to mean their are no records of treatment or diangosis for a mental disorder in the service? If you had filed for this within one year of discharge you probably would have gotten it. Waiting ten years to file with no evidence of in-service treatment/diagnosis is going to be hard if that is what you are telling us.

John

See you have a battle on your hands because more than ten years have gone by since you were discharged and you say you hid the symptoms of your mental disorder in the service. I take that to mean their are no records of treatment or diangosis for a mental disorder in the service? If you had filed for this within one year of discharge you probably would have gotten it. Waiting ten years to file with no evidence of in-service treatment/diagnosis is going to be hard if that is what you are telling us.

No, there are no records of any treatment in the service at all. I thought if an MD drafted a letter, it would carry a lot of weight. Maybe I could get 0% and buy the VA life insurance.....