Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ssd For Child

Rate this question

Guest jangrin

Question

Guest jangrin

Does any one know if the SS payment my teenage son gets from SS each month are taxed. My son worked part time in a department store. he made less than $2000.00 last year, but he also gets money each month for the family/child portion from his father's SSDI award.

It comes to me (his Mom) and then in turn I use it for his monthly expenses. Is this money suppose to be listed on the tax return?

His (my son's), Mine or a joint return.

Jangrin

Edited by jangrin

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

Its not enough to worry about taxes. SS will send you a 1099 that you will use if you need to report taxes to IRS.Your son is in the clear. When he is 18 the check will go to him for 13 months if he is still in school.

Veterans deserve real choice for their health care.

• HadIt.com Elder

Pete is correct.

You (or your husband) will receive a 1099 from IRS.

Whomever is listed as the person/payee on that 1099 form is the person responsible for the taxes owed. This is the person that the SSA is showing as having received the SSDI payments and this is the person from whom the IRS will turn to for the taxes.

"It is cold and we have no blankets.

The little children are freezing to death.

My people, some of them, have run away to the hills, and have no blankets, no food; no one knows where they are-perhaps freezing to death.

I want to have time to look for my children and see how many of them I can find.

Maybe I shall find them among the dead.

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired; my heart is sick and sad.

From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever."

Chief Joseph

Guest jangrin

Thank you very much, that clears up the question. My son doesn't need to file but if he does for his part time job he will get the federal taxes withheld returned.

Then I will file for the SS payments he receives. Makes sense but I didn't know for sure what the deal was. I appreceiate the help. Thank you.

Jangrin