Question

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

Guest rickb54
Just got the letter from the VA doc, Total and permanent it says and unable to hold a job permanently.

We will have to wait and see what the VA says about this one. I think the Total and Permanent are the magic words.

Interesting according to this applying for T&P is not possible.. I think the resource is wrong but interesting just the same.

From : http://p203.ezboard.com/CompensationBenefi...icID=7966.topic

P&T-Permanent & Total ?'s

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

P&T stands for "permanent" and "total".

To be permanent merely means that the condition, whatever it is, is not expected to improve and VA has no future review examinations scheduled. Any disability can be considered to be permanent, even one that is only 10 percent. But bear in mind that merely saying that a disability is permanent doesn't mean it cannot be reduced if it improves. It merely means that VA has no plans to call you in for a review examination to see if it has improved.

To be total means that you are considered to be 100 percent disabled. There are two ways to acheive this total level of disability.

One way is to have a schedular disability evaluation of 100 percent, either by means of a single condition that is rated at 100 percent or multiple conditions that combine to equal a 100 percent evaluation. If you have a schedular 100 percent evaluation with no future review exams scheduled, you are considered to be P&T.

The other way is to have service connected disabilities that while not evaluated at 100 percent, effectively prevent you from working. In such a situation you may be granted compensation at the 100 percent rate due to individual unemployability (IU). As with the schedular 100 percent rating, if you have no future review examinations scheduled, you are P&T.

Quote:

You can't "apply" for permanent; however, you are free to submit medical evidence any time you wish. If your doctor says that your condition is not likely to improve, have him put that in writing and send it to VA along with a statement asking that future review exams be cancelled based on the doctor's statement.

If you just ask them to make you "permanent" without sending medical evidence to support that, VA will just ask you for medical evidence and if you don't submit it nothing will happen.--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

LOL I didnt apply for permanent or T&P, thats just what the doctor typed in my letter. Which I would assume is 100 percent. I already have my first percentage from them. Just waiting on this one for the unemployability. When talking to VA doctors its hard I think to get them to actually type up a note or letter that will help you win your claim. This one took a lawyers help but, in the end I think its going to work out.

• HadIt.com Elder

When you get IU or 100% you will either be approved for chapter 35 or denied. If denied you can appeal the denial of the chapter 35. That is what I did and then got a doctor to say I was P&T which I am. It took about a year from getting the rating of IU to getting my P&T on appeal. The VA said since I had not improved in a year since rating I was P&T. I believe that when you ask for chapter 35 you are making a claim for an increase if you do it outside of an appeal, so the whole VA claims development process starts. You should submit evidence to support a rating of P&T.