Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Dependant Information

Rate this question

Bound4heaven

Question

Greetings,

I recieved a letter from the ro informing me that as of 8/2007 my daughter turnes 18 and will no longer be a dependent. She is currently a Junior in high school and still had one more year left and plans to go to Bible College. Is there a form I need to fill out to show the VA even though she will be 18 , however will still have 1 more year of high school left, or is it when she turns 18 thats it until college?? I have chapter 35. I do thank you all and God bless.

Bound4Heaven

Edited by Bound4heaven

• Answers 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Actually you need to fill out a form and make a decision. Chapter 35 only pays for College and special training and not High School. Also the VA pays a higher amount for 18 year olds still in High School.

If you are getting Social Security your daughter will get paid directly for another 13 months but you have to show what school and fill out a form for them also.

Chapter 35 is limited to 39 months or less than 4 full years so some elect to take the higher amount for a while. For my kids I always took a bird in the hand approach and we used Chapter 35 when we had a chance.

Hope that this was not to confusing cause once again there is more than 1 answer to a question.

Greetings,

Thank you for your responses. What form are you refering too? I rather not file any chapter 35 benefits until she is accepted by the Bible College. I only want to address the issue that she will be turning 18 and still has a her senior year to complete. Is there a form for this to send to the RO? or will a letter do the trick? Thank you again and God bless.

Bound4Heaven

Bound,

My son is in almost exactly the same situation. He is a junior in high school and will turn 18 in May. ChampVA sent him a letter yesterday. It explains that to continue being eligible all you need is a letter from the school (letter head) stating that he is enrolled and attending classes as a full-time student. The letter needs to state when the term begins and when it ends. They enclosed fact sheets 01-02 (school certification) http://www.va.gov/hac/factsheets/champva/FactSheet01-02.pdf & 01-03 (who is eligible) http://www.va.gov/hac/factsheets/champva/FactSheet01-03.pdf. All these certifications need to be completed for each term until age 23.

Edited by Rich T

Boundforheaven-

I could not find any specific form at the VA forms site for what you need to tell the VA-

A letter should do it-

Also although just about every college is fully VA approved- best to check this too before she enrolls-the college surely has a web site and also a section for Chapter 35 and GI Bill info.

I am certainly sure they would be VA approved- but had email from a vet org member whose said their college under Chap 35 wasn't fully VA approved.