Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Dependant Information

Rate this question

Bound4heaven

Question

Greetings,

I recieved a letter from the ro informing me that as of 8/2007 my daughter turnes 18 and will no longer be a dependent. She is currently a Junior in high school and still had one more year left and plans to go to Bible College. Is there a form I need to fill out to show the VA even though she will be 18 , however will still have 1 more year of high school left, or is it when she turns 18 thats it until college?? I have chapter 35. I do thank you all and God bless.

Bound4Heaven

Edited by Bound4heaven

• Answers 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Call the VA 1 800 827 1000 and ask them to send the proper form. I know that as long as they stay in school the VA will pay more after they are 18.

Greetings,

Great advice by you all. Where would I find the chapter 35 applications for my daughter? I have found every other application but these. Berta you make a good point. I should get the ball rolling now for her in regards to her Bible College. God bless you all.

Bound4Heaven

If this is your first child to use the DEA, I know it's hard to do, but remember it is her money. If she adds to the houshold expense that's great. Sometimes the kids will get allowances for 2 or 3 months then drop out of school. It is their responsibility to pay that money back (for unfinished semesters), not you. The form is attached. I always had the dependant apply for a master's degree, so that any work less than that is considered part of the program. The VA gets fussy if they change place of program, or the program itself more than three times.

22_5490.pdf

Edited by Rich T

Rich would know on that-

I wouldn't touch that baby at all-in my opinion-(the Decision!)

Cavman- didnt the VA send you the Chap 35 apps with the decision?

I used the same one they sent me in 1997 and my daughter used the 1997 one for her enrollment too when she left the mil- they were in an old folder with the 1997 100% P & T posthumous award letter and VA had already put our names and c file numbers on the apps.

This might help ----dont know-

if the school is VA approved-

my daughter still has some credits to finish with her Bachelors degree-

she paid for most of this herself except for lots of credits from the USAF.

Her tech school (DLI) was 2 years long - and she obtained other credits in her MOS and Clepped alot of stuff-

She has already applied at my school (AMU) for her Masters and they already squared away her eligibility and entitlement under Chap 35.at the school-

meaning when she starts her Masters she pays the tuition for the semester and will tie up with the same VA counselor at the school I had and they will have no problem sending her the tuition benefit. The benefit has already been established at AMU under Chap 35.

One thing to keep in mind-well 2 things-

I wrote to VA asking them some questions before she became vet- as to her Chap 35 benefits- so I could help her-I didnt have the mil extension regs-

they sent me a very nice letter reminding me that my baby, an adult in the mil-

was the only person who could write to VA about her VA benefits-not me-

due to the Privacy Act. They were right of course-

So I guess while your daughter is still under 18 the VA would be willing to advise you in her behalf-

another thing-

the student must keep up their GPA up and also must pay the tuition before the VA will process it as a refund-

the length of the course comes into play-

for accelerated 8 week courses they divided these payments into 2 checks-

for the main 4 month courses- 4 checks-in my case-

She will need to keep in mind that she makes the initial lump sum payment -then the VA sends her back the money-but one cannot predict how soon that will come.

I got three VA checks once in 2 days-but had paid the tuition well over two months before getting them.

Also she might even be eligible for Pell grants on top of the Chap 35- something to definitely look into- I should have -but didnt.

I get a book grant from Marine Corps Assoc- this too would be good to know now if she is eligible for any book grants because the text books and CDs etc can be very expensive.

Before you know it she will be ready for college.Good to think ahead.

Bound,

Several years ago I had a son who was UNDER 18 and in college. The VA continued his under 18 dependence allowances AND paid his Chapter 35. Over 18 and NOT receiving Chapter 35 the dependence allowance does two things, 1. You are reduced to Veteran and spouse (if this is only child), BUT 2. The child is increased by $222. In other words at 100% pay (including TDIU) if you are paid $2,711 for self, wife and child, the compensation will then become $2,610 PLUS $222 or $2,832. Over 18 and the child is receiving DEA 35, then you no longer are paid the $222.

I just ran across a very good program paid for by some NFL players. They are buying SAT/ACT prep programs for military families. The family is only responsible for the S&H. They authorized me (apparently they use the DEERS system). I ordered the premium DVD for SAT and standard DVD for ACT, and only had to pay $19 S&H. Go to http://www.militaryhomefront.dod.mil/porta...00.30.0.0.0.0.0 and click verification on the bottom when you are ready to order. There are plenty of additional links for information before you click for verification.

You also may want to look into the Commissary Scholarship http://www.militaryscholar.org/apply/apply.shtml

Check http://education.military.com/money-for-sc...stance-programs

I know that the state of PA offers DEA people an honorarium of $500 per semester up to $4,000 for in state schools.

Once your daughter is in school, be sure to know that tutorial services are also included by the VA. Form 22-1990t is attached

22_1990t_Jan2001.pdf

Edited by Rich T