VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Correct CVA decision on Incorrect BVA decision

Rate this question

Daniel F

Question

I know Hadit cannot address OTH Discharges But my case is different because the BVA decision states I based my claim on the wrong Army Regulation May 1956 instead of April 14, 1959. The Court found for the Boards decision, as this regulation was not before the Board at the time of the decision. I went over all AR'S but could not find this one, I finally found it in the Congressional Record of the 88th Congress 1962.  A Department of Defense directive dated 1-14-1959 Which became effective 90 days later on (April 14, 1959)Which cancelled and Superseded all other service regulations on administrative discharges. Stating the definition of what was misconduct and what was Unfitness. I was discharged by the Army under an Army Regulation that had been cancelled 2 years and 11 months before my discharge. I was discharged for a Personality Disorder for Unfitness. The VA found my discharge was for Willful and Persistent misconduct, DOD directive states I should be discharged for unsuitability for further retention in the service due to the diagnosis of a personality disorder. That my Character of service would be based solely on my service records which document no other problems documented by the record.

The Courts decision was correct because I was discharged under provisions of DOD directive April 14, 1959,  (the CVA upheld the Board decision that I predicated my defense on the wrong army Regulation ) I was discharged on 3-23-1962, under an Army reg that was cancelled 3 years before my discharge under its provisions. The DOD directive is new and material evidence. The CVA decision in reality was favorable to my claim (Which the Court did not mean it to be)

What are my options The Board decision was in August 2014 and the CVA decision was in 2016, what are my options and which other VA forms must be filed? I found the DOD directive about 5 months ago!

Thank you

Dan

"If an issue is denied and you want to pursue further action,
you may:
v File    a    new claim    with    your    local    VA    office;
v File    a    motion    asking    the    Board    of    Veterans’    Appeals    to    
reconsider    your    appeal    (there    is    no    time    limit    to    file    this    motion);
v File    a    motion    asking    the    Board    of    Veterans’    Appeals    to    
review your appeal again because there was clear and
unmistakable    (obvious)    error    in    its    decision    (there    is    no    time    
limit    to    file    this    motion);    and/or"

Source Page 14 of https://www.bva.va.gov/docs/Pamphlets/How-Do-I-Appeal-Booklet--508Compliance.pdf

"§ 4.6 Evaluation of evidence.

The element of the weight to be accorded the character of the veteran's service is but one factor entering into the considerations of the rating boards in arriving at determinations of the evaluation of disability. Every element in any way affecting the probative value to be assigned to the evidence in each individual claim must be thoroughly and conscientiously studied by each member of the rating board in the light of the established policies of the Department of Veterans Affairs to the end that decisions will be equitable and just as contemplated by the requirements of the law."

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/38/4.6

But we need more info:

You stated :"The DOD directive is new and material evidence. The CVA decision in reality was favorable to my claim (Which the Court did not mean it to be)"

Can you give us the Docket # of the BVA denial that you appealed to the CAVC?

Can you give u a link to the US CAVC decision?

You said:" I was discharged on 3-23-1962, under an Army reg that was cancelled 3 years before my discharge under its provisions."

Is this the 1959 Directive that you found?

https://www.loc.gov/rr/frd/Military_Law/pdf/const-rights-mil-pers.pdf

You can  re open the claim at the VARO level with New and Material evidence, such as the directive you found.

But If I were you I would file a Motion for Revision under CUE with the BVA....too.

There is a Motion template here under a search.

Your situation appears to be a possible CUE under 38 CFR 4.6.

But we need to see more info.  

Edited by Berta
cloud

My question would be are you fighting the right battle? 

Have you tried to upgrade your discharge through military records and submitting a DD form 149?

Have you researched NOLO? There are attorney’s that will help you free of charge.

How to Get a Military Discharge Upgrade

It’s difficult, but not impossible, to get your bad paper discharge upgraded to honorable or get the reasons for your discharge changed.

How to Get a Military Discharge Upgrade | Nolo

NVLSP

Edited by pacmanx1

Can you tell me what is on your discharge after AR ( it would be six figures-hypenated after the first three.)

It would probably be AR  635- and then with a number in the two hundreds.

I found it-

AR 635-208

Also in this thread, I found your BVA deciion and you verified that is it.

As I said I felt that BVA decision was correct but you now have information that might reverse the decision.

https://community.hadit.com/topic/78888-cue-info-that-is-incorrect-here/page/2/

Many of your posts disappeared from hadit or maybe you deleted them.

I have no record of the information I gave you in your older posts, it is no longer here,.

If anyone is interested, Yes I filed an extensive  complaint of three separate submissions ,with the OGC and recently had to verify to OGC ,my signature on it.

It is in progress toward a resolve.   and it has caused me to limit my time here. 

This is your decision I posted:

https://www.va.gov/vetapp14/files4/1428629.txt.

You get SC now for the initial Honorable period of your service.

I am not sure if 38 CFR 4.6 is the best legal error to use in a Motion for Revision, regarding your evidence and you must file the Motion with specific legal errors and the regulations they (BVA)broke.

Edited by Berta

Pacman is right- we were at hadit at the same time this AM and I just caught his reply-

The pdf of the AR Regulation is 57 pages long and I dont have time to read it, to see if it would help  you at all.

I am also sure that in those missing or deleted posts you were advised by pacman and others here on the same point.

The VA determined your discharge for your second period of service  to be dishonorable and there are steps you need to take

to get that corrected. I dont foresee the BVA having any legal authority to correct it, even if they did commit a CUE.

The links Pacman posted can help you understand this process, because the BVA decision clearly states:

"The appellant's discharge from his period of active duty from March 1961 to March 1962 constitutes a bar to VA benefits based on that period of service."

You could use the 88ht Congress pdf, if that can help you get the dishonorable changed to a discharge that would provide you with potential benefits, based on your second period of service.

When I first got out of service, I applied for a bunch of civilian jobs and a few of my applications kept asking me for any special type of military awards.  Even though my DD FORM 214 listed my awards,  it failed to document my (JMUAs), Joint Unit Meritorious Awards and I had to send away for my corrected copy. Luckily, I was still in the area and I went to my old unit and they typed up a letter listing my awards and their citation numbers, and I sent it away and I received my DD FORM 215 and all my awards from The Correction of Military Records. The only awards they could not send me was my overseas award (ribbon) but told me I could get it online or in a military supply shop.  All in all, it took about a year or so if I am remembering correct.  

Not sure if VA could even upgrade your discharge, I admit that I did not read your entire post, but I do know that a veteran must submit a DD FORM 149 to have his/her military records changed or upgraded. VA is known for doing a half ass jobs and not reviewing the veteran’s entire file and even ignoring their own regulations. The military was also known for mischaracterizing a soldier’s discharge and the veteran would have to apply for an upgrade, prior to applying for VA benefits.

Sorry forgot to post where you could find DD FORM 149

DD Form 149, Application for Correction of Military Record Under the Provisions of Title 10, U.S. Code, Section 1552, May 2003. (pentagon.mil)

Edited by pacmanx1