Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Severe Menieres Disease, SAH grant?

Rate this question

seminoles

Question

I am service connected for Meniers disease and it has gotten progressively worse and worse to the point that I am wheelchair bound 100% of the time, which the VA has acknowledged by not only issuing my a back up second custom rigid wheelchair but my new primary care doctor unlike my old crappy one has noted it in my medical records that I am wheelchair bound 100% of the time.  I have come to realize that we need to buy or build a more accessible house, I am in my 40's and this isn't going to work for us much longer.   I need to hopefully be eligible for a SAH grant as well as a vehicle grant. Do I need one of my providers to say that I have essentially lost the use of my legs?  It is kind of weird situation honestly, I can't walk unless you want to say someone who has had an insane amount of alcohol but can somehow stagger around is walking. I fell over 20 times in one month before we finally said enough is enough.  I also have psychogenic seizures which honestly are scary as heck.  I can't be left alone any longer and NO we can't apply for the caregiver program because wrong era. I am a Desert Storm era veteran.  Anyone go through this with a similar situation?  Those small grants aren't even gonna come close to making a dent in a fully accessible home.  Thanks.

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

What is your disabilities? Are you 100% P&T? What others do you have? When did you receive your rating(s). Have you explored SMC's? 

6 minutes ago, GBArmy said:

What is your disabilities? Are you 100% P&T? What others do you have? When did you receive your rating(s). Have you explored SMC's? 

I am 100% PT I haven't applied for any SMCs because well the VA quite frankly scares the hell out of me.  I am 70% for mh (I could easily be 100%) 50% for migraines,  30% for my meniers, 60% for a bladder condition, 10% for sinus and I think that everything.  I know that I can apply for loss of use for my legs which I pretty much have, I cannot walk but I can use a stationary recumbent bike, so it is really weird.  I can drive a car rarely, but I do enjoy it when I can.   My mh is rated as such bipolar disorder (ptsd, agoraphobia, general anxiety disorder, panic disorder)  and now I am the lucky winner of seizures from mh, never knew there was such a thing but yep.  I know when they are gonna happen thankfully and I'm in a wheelchair but many bruise, cuts and scraps before I caved to the wheelchair.  I didn't want to end up dead or hurt badly.  I am pretty sure that I need to get the SMC for loss of use first, then apply for my SAH.  I see my neuro tomorrow and he is fantastic about this stuff, he is the one who I see for this actually because ent sucks here and he is one of the only providers who writes letters for me etc. 

You could apply for an increase for MH. If you can get it rated at 100% with your other disabilities that are service connected you would be considered homebound status and eligible for SMC S-1.  Hope this helps