VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Chapter 35 for Spouse. How does that affect my disability payment?

Rate this question

JaeT.21

Question

Two of my kids are already using Chapter 35 for college, so I know that I lost the extra disability compensation for the kids out of my disability payments. 

My question is if my wife uses the Chapter 35 for college, does that mean my disability payment will decrease as well? If so, how much?

• Answers 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

1 answer to this question

As long as your wife is your dependent, I cannot imagine Chapter 35 ,in her regard would ever affect your rating.

I used Chapter 35 after my husband died.

I tied into the school's VA counselor-I was the only civilian enrolled, and contacted  their financial department right away, to make the Chapter 35 reimbursement go smoothly- which-for the most part it did.

Things might have changed. I had to pay my tuition prior to each semester, and then the VA counselor at the school and Financial aid office would verify my payment, to the VA, for the reimbursement.

The first thing I did was to make sure my college was VA Approved- most of them are and they all have web sites to give more info.

I was also the first Chapter 35 student at AMU- everyone else was on the GI Bill.

Also- I already had half of my degree from a traditional campus college.If she is pursuing a degree on line, they might well have some PC requirements she would need to have.They will also consider any past college credit as well.

Most of my Professors at AMU were still in the military or retired military but one was a civilian and wanted one of the assignments done via Power Point.Many students objected but still it was a good exercise for us all, learning a new program.

Edited by Berta
spelling