Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Secondary Claim-depression Due To Chronic Pain

Rate this question

Sherry

Question

Hi all,

I am looking for information on if anybody has filed a secondary claim for depression due to chronic pain. My worst SC disability is Fibromyalgia followed by interstillial cystitis and tarsal tunnel, plantar fasciitis. Also the VA is running more tests to rule out Lupus. Ever since I was first in the miltary 10 years ago, they suspected Lupus but really did not follow up on it. ANA is really high along with other clinical signs. Anyways back on topic...Do you think the VA would say well the depression is a symptom of fibromyalgia, so you cannot be awarded SC for as a secondary condition. I have read where IBS has been service connected secondary to Fibromyalgia even though it is listed in the symptom chart. It has been noted in my records that I have PTSD and depression. Lost my claim for PTSD..did not follow up on my first denial. I have been reading the boards for awile now and think everybody is great and helpful! Thanks for any advice anyone could offer.

:)

• Answers 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Nah I think you can easily make a case for the SEVERITY of the depression if they try that... it couldnt have been too bad or you would never have gotten in right?... I think that if you show a complete physical picture that displays a gradual worsening of depression that is equal to the increase in chronic condition you will eat them alive. They might try the whole childhood thing but... they'd lose, at least, if its handled correctly...

Thanks that's kinda what I thought too! The depression was pretty much diagnosed around the same time frame as my disabilities (1999 and 2001.) Nothing before service was ever diagnosed so at least I have that on my side. Heck, I was in good shape before I went in, nothing physically or mentally diagnosed before then.

Kenny- did the TDIU go back to the date you originally filed for it?

YES- beautiful claim and it proves nothing is impossible with the VA-

and that there ARE Good NSOs around.

Then again- you were GOOOOOOOOOD-too and you were not persuaded by ineffective help from a county rep.

County reps- they are good for handling many things a vet needs- but a claim?

the local office here has an awful reputation regarding claims advise.

I went over there one day just for a form or something and sat down and BSed with their main vet rep-geeeee he tied me up there for over an hour asking me questions about

basic VA 101.A heck of a nice and sincere person but I question what kind of training these county reps get as to claims-

they can help with many more important issues for vets-like property tax rebates, some VA forms, etc-

I wouldn't have them handle a VA claim however.

No Berta I think they gave retro from the date that I became egilible for the Tdiu(60% rating) from the claims I filed later which was the June 2005 date. When I filed the original TDIU claim I was only 20% SC.