Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Appeal date

Rate this question

Remisdad

Question

My Appeal is a legacy and at the bva. December 2016 is when it was filed. On va.gov it says my appeal was updated in July 2020. On va.gov it says they are working on claims from September 2017 and later. Shouldn't my Appeal be seen quickly. Va.gov says there are 85000 ahead of me. Just seems like December 2016 should be seen before September 2017. Also my claim was remanded to director of comp. And then sent back to RO and now is back at bva. Wasn't sure what to do. 

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

Well, you did say this is legacy.  Understand what legacy means. 

First, your VARO has to do a SOC.  This could be followed by SSOC (Supplemental statement of case) if you submit new evidence.  

Before your claim even goes to the board, it sits in the VARO waiting to be "certified".  This typically takes a year or more to do what should be done in 2 hours.  

But, the delays are just beginning.  

Now, your claim will ultimately go to a national VSO who will file a "brief" for you.  This can take about a year.  That is how long mine took.  Can be more or less.  

Now you are about 3 years into this, and its not REALLY at the board, yet.  

Finally, 

Now, the claim has to be docketed.  This may not happen right away.  

It eventually goes to the judge BUT, anyone with an "advance on the docket" is put ahead of you, assuming you dont have an advance on the docket.  

Finally it gets sent to judge, where you get to wait your turn.  

Solution:  Dont go legacy.  I dont see the benefit of a SOC, SSOC, or the VARO certifying your appeal.  

Right now, I have no advice but to wait.  Yea..I did it too.   For years.  

On 5/4/2021 at 5:59 PM, Remisdad said:

My Appeal is a legacy and at the bva. December 2016 is when it was filed. On va.gov it says my appeal was updated in July 2020. On va.gov it says they are working on claims from September 2017 and later. Shouldn't my Appeal be seen quickly. Va.gov says there are 85000 ahead of me. Just seems like December 2016 should be seen before September 2017. Also my claim was remanded to director of comp. And then sent back to RO and now is back at bva. Wasn't sure what to do. 

When did you complete your VA Form 9?

Did you request a hearing?

Edited by pacmanx1

On va.gov it shows my appeal I filed in December 2016 then it says my va form 9 was completed in September 2019 and it also say my appeal was updated In July 2020. So I have no idea what date they're going by probably July 2020. 

8 minutes ago, Remisdad said:

On va.gov it shows my appeal I filed in December 2016 then it says my va form 9 was completed in September 2019 and it also say my appeal was updated In July 2020. So I have no idea what date they're going by probably July 2020. 

They go by the date that your form 9 was completed.

It should say something like: When you completed a VA Form 9 in September 2019, your appeal was added to the Board’s docket, securing your spot in line.

Edited by pacmanx1