Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Climate Profile, Rhinitis, Sleep Apnea

Rate this question

McRay

Question

When I was in AIT (1971) I was given a climate profile. I went on sick call one morning for an upper respiratory problem and next thing I knew the ENT doc issued me a profile that basically stated I wasn't supposed to be stationed in a cold, damp climate. I later waived the profile and don't remember any more treatment. Currently, I'm at 50% for Unspecified Depressive Disorder and PTSD. I'm diagnosed by VA with OSA and have been given a CPAP machine. I'm thinking of filing a claim for the sleep apnea and possibly rhinitis. I'm a little confused as to how the best way to file would be, OSA secondary to UDD PTSD or Rhinitis or a supplemental claim? Or if the rhinitis claim is even do-able? I am treated at VA for allergies. I'd never considered a claim for rhinitis until reading some of the posts here. Oh, I also am given meds for PTSD.

Thanks

3 answers to this question

This is a BVA grant for allergic rhinitis.

https://www.va.gov/vetapp18/files10/18140883.txt

Did you have the rhinitus prior to getting the OSA?

If I can find something that would help with that type of claim, I will post it here.

WOW this is even better:ORDER

Entitlement to service connection for obstructive sleep apnea (OSA), claimed as secondary to service-connected allergic rhinitis, is granted.
https://www.va.gov/vetapp21/files3/a21004851.txt

In part:

"In October 2015 the Veteran was seen for a VA examination to determine the etiology of his OSA. At the time the Veteran was claiming a possible connection to his service-connected hypertension. However, the examiner found that his OSA is “not due to” his hypertension. The examiner noted that while the Veteran’s OSA had its onset “during his active military service,” it is “most likely caused by” his obesity. The examiner did not discuss the impact of the Veteran’s rhinitis.

In June 2016 the Veteran was seen for another VA examination, this time to determine whether there is a causal relationship between his allergic rhinitis and his OSA. The examiner concluded that, as “allergic rhinitis … is a risk factor for OSA,” the Veteran’s OSA “is at least as likely as not … proximately due to, or the result of, his service connected[sic] allergic rhinitis.”

In February 2017 the Veteran submitted a statement from Dr. R., a private physician treating the Veteran who is an allergist and immunologist. According to Dr. R., the Veteran’s “perennial allergic rhinitis is significantly impacting” his OSA. Continuing, Dr. R. notes that “significant nasal obstruction,” caused by allergic rhinitis, “is a contributing factor” to the Veteran’s OSA."

I dont know why he had to appeal this because a VA doctor made a favorable statement.

I would imagine that the risk factor of OSA to Rhinitis is a medical statement that might be available from a good medical web site.....such as NCBI, Jogn Hopkins etc etc, 

https://www.medscape.com/answers/134825-4388/why-is-the-risk-for-developing-obstructive-sleep-apnea-osa-increased-in-patients-with-allergic-rhinitis-hay-fever

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6319794/

https://www.annallergy.org/article/S1081-1206(15)00402-0/fulltext

But you might find something better by googling Allergic Rhintis and OAS.

Did the OSA start after taking the PTSD Meds?

I wonder if any of those meds have side affects of OAS or related breating problems.

In October 2015 the Veteran was seen for a VA examination to determine the etiology of his OSA. At the time the Veteran was claiming a possible connection to his service-connected hypertension. However, the examiner found that his OSA is “not due to” his hypertension. The examiner noted that while the Veteran’s OSA had its onset “during his active military service,” it is “most likely caused by” his obesity. The examiner did not discuss the impact of the Veteran’s rhinitis.

In June 2016 the Veteran was seen for another VA examination, this time to determine whether there is a causal relationship between his allergic rhinitis and his OSA. The examiner concluded that, as “allergic rhinitis … is a risk factor for OSA,” the Veteran’s OSA “is at least as likely as not … proximately due to, or the result of, his service connected[sic] allergic rhinitis.”

In February 2017 the Veteran submitted a statement from Dr. R., a private physician treating the Veteran who is an allergist and immunologist. According to Dr. R., the Veteran’s “perennial allergic rhinitis is significantly impacting” his OSA. Continuing, Dr. R. notes that “significant nasal obstruction,” caused by allergic rhinitis,In October 2015 the Veteran was seen for a VA examination to determine the etiology of his OSA. At the time the Veteran was claiming a possible connection to his service-connected hypertension. However, the examiner found that his OSA is “not due to” his hypertension. The examiner noted that while the Veteran’s OSA had its“

Thanks for the good info Berta!

Yes, I've had the rhinitus long before a diagnosis of OSA. I've only had the OSA diagnosis for around 18 months. I have been on PTSD meds off and on for several years. The sleep study came as a recommendation from a GI doc who thought it might have something to do with high iron content in blood.