Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Separation Pay Hardship Request

Rate this question

Carl the Engineer

Question

So, my claims closed on the 2nd, and I got 100% P&T.  Yesterday and then today, I have been going on eBenifits and myVA to track my 3K retro.

Today when I logged in I see I have a claim pending starting on the 3rd. 

Separation Pay Hardship Request.

I did not make this request, but maybe the VFW did, or maybe the VA did.  Don't know.

I do know, I did receive Separation Pay when I exited the Military of around $63,000.00.  And I do know they recouped around $47,000.00 or maybe 43K, not sure right now, after tax amount, before I received any VA compensation.  I basically went from 2009 till 2014 before I received any money into my bank account.

This new claim says "under review", so your guess is as good as mine.

I am only 100% P&T for 2 days, lets not screw that up!,

Hamslice

Edited by Hamslice
cause I can

“There is no hook my friend. There's only what we do.”  Doc Holiday 

So, today it says under disabilities claimed, "Ask DFAS - Separation Pay (New)

And instead of separation hardship pay request, it says, (Eligibility Determination)

Under Request 1, they want me to send in my LES from the Army with my gross Separation Pay and my net Separation Pay.

So, confusing to say the least.

So, I called my local CVSO, answering service, gone for the week to a conference.

So, I called the VFW, for the first time ever, spoke to a lady who looked my stuff up and can see where I paid it back.  She also said there is something about $250.00, but she is not sure and will have her "boss"  call me tomorrow.

Now the funny part.  I just started to receive my Military retirement pay, I had to send DFAS my records from the VA saying that they (VA) recouped my disability pay.  And now the VA wants DFAS to provide my pay records, etc.  

If I could only take the two heads and hit them together, as my mom used to say,

Hamslice

I'm thinking it is an audit and either I owe the VA 250 or the VA owes me 250.  But, my retro was finally release to my bank this morning. 

So I got that going for me.

We'll, it only gets better.

Today, Proposal to Reduce for Separation Pay (New), and the other two claims from the  2nd and  the 3rd are gone.

Called my VSO (VFW) again, and I also uploaded my separation LES, and the VA documents showing I paid my sep back.  She looked and could see my uploads and said there is a new "ticket" in my file and a letter explaining some of what is going on.  She told me some numbers and I wrote them down.  It looks like there may be a $1951.64 discrepancy (shortage) on what I paid back in 2014, and that is what they are after, and from what I can see I have two months to send in documentation etc.  The VA is using the numbers off of my LES, but there is a lot more numbers on that form that I don't think they are looking at.  Could be a tax lawyer thing, but not for $1,900.00.

Also, I asked her to email me the letter, and she said she would try, but that the VA may not let it through because it has my service number on it, etc., and their system will kick it out.

So, just so you know, you're VSO, who works right in the same building as the VA for convenience, who uses VA computers systems, can NOT support you as much as you think.  I would want my representative to be able to email me anything I want if I do not care about my privacy, remember it's MY privacy.  Send me the damn letter, so I don't look like an idiot trying to make a three way conversation out of a two way.

Like trying to buy a car over the phone and the dealer tells you "just a couple rust spots"!!

Hamslice

11 hours ago, Hamslice said:

Send me the damn letter, so I don't look like an idiot trying to make a three way conversation out of a two way.

its ridic what they wont let through but i can go online and download all my service records etc...if i can login to my bank and download bank statements, they can send me a letter that has my ssn on it...freaking stupid!