VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

In-person request and retrieval for military records?

Rate this question

Rivet62

Question

Going on 4 months now, waiting for military service records and military in-service medical records. Not me, but two vets I know.  Out of sheer desperation (knowing it's a no) I wonder if anyone has obtained these records in person?  Like, can you go in person to see these records and/or have them printed out so you can walk out with them?  At this point it's worth the drive. 

I know the idea is ridiculous because just locating the records out of boxes somewhere probably takes a lot of time.

19 minutes ago, brokensoldier244th said:

Lol, it has its days. I'm buried in NCIS/CID/Police reports and veteran self statements, etc, all day, Same with searching for behavioral markers.

Ugh. That could get pretty ugly I'm sure.

• Community Owner

brokensoldier244th

Ok where where you in 2017 when the Montgomery RO was processing my Charter of Discharge claim due to PTSD-MST? And rating the same.  (Just Kidding) The people at the Montgomery RO acted like they couldn't even spell MST. I guess I was in the Vets that the OIG did the report on. That is now water und the bridge as of November.

The first time I requested my C-File September 19,2019. I didn't receive it until September 17, 2020. It was 1805 pages. 

I did a seconded request on 7-14-21 asking for some of my C & P Exams. I suspect I will get the whole file again probably about 2500 pages by now.

There will not be much of your mental health records in there other than what you have submitted or what the VA has requested.

You can go to va.gov and go to the "BlueButton" and ask for Clinic Notes  and put in the most recent date or a range of dates if you want them all. Don't be afraid of what's in there its striate  forwarded. They do not give gory details of what you tell them.

Edited by Rattler767

• Community Owner

I wish every RO had a team for MST but I am afraid that its only at a few and sometimes the claims don't get routed to the right people.