VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Heart Surgery connected to High Blood pressure?

Rate this question

Steve40th

Question

Hello, A couple years ago , 3/2020, I had heart surgery. Had a 99% block in LDA. Thank God I have three artery's vice two, at least my cardiologist was saying it was a good thing.

Anyways, I retired in 2012, Oct. I was service connected for blood pressure and of course have been on meds for years, years before even getting out. Cholesterol was high, and they put me on statin, then another med for calcium control. 

Is the Heart surgery something I should notify my VSO about. Blood pressure hasnt changed any, cholesterol is down due to diet and meds.. 

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

@Steve40thDefinitely let them know. Heart claims are rated differently if service-connected. A service-connected heart attack gets a single 100% rating for 3 months and then re-eval you (if necessary). Because yours happened a while ago, I don't believe you can get an earlier effective date back to that time because you didn't file a claim. However, it definitely is worth filing a claim and try to get it service-connected because it and other issues could definitely happen again. Hypertension, age, gender, side effects of other meds (yes, those are often missed) and other factors can all contribute to one. It is possible that the VA failed to consider all those potential risk factors...

• HadIt.com Elder

If you are a Vietnam vet then getting connected for heart problems is very easy due to AO exposure.  I got mine secondary to DMII because DMII is AO presumptive.  You just don't know what you can get until you claim it.  I got 60% for heart and I was pretty shocked.  I don't look a gift horse in the mouth.  The VA does not look beyond their nose for secondary conditions or connections.  You have to claim it.  Very good post,  VYNC.

@john999Glad to help. I had to learn about it the hard way.

@Steve40thKeep in mind it took decades for the VA to finally recognize AO as a presumptive, but since you are OEF/OIF there is a chance that there could be other potential factors which could tie in. I would recommend that you go through all meds the VA prescribed at the time for SC disabilities and carefully read the list of side effects, adverse reactions, and contraindications. See there are any heart attack warnings. If there are any, talk with your VSO and perhaps doc. In some my case, the drug manufacturer recommended that when certain risk factors are present, special diagnostic testing was needed to ensure the medication was safe to take.

2 minutes ago, Steve40th said:

^ Will do. I have to go through Tricare too as they handled most of my medicines..

Since you are retired, I have an odd feeling you might have been on NSAIDs for a very long time. Long-term use is definitely not heart friendly.