VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Delayed on-set PTSD

Rate this question

AF SP

Question

Concerned about C&P and service connection. In 1987 as an Air Force SP I was deployed to a plane crash. 3 people were killed when it crashed and they were literally scattered over about 5 acres. Needless to say it was very gruesome. Within a couple of months of this I began having severe gastric issues that are still ongoing. I had no idea that PTSD could have been the cause of these issues, when I got out I was granted SC for it at 40% permanent in 1999. I've always had an occasional memory that would pop up but for the most part I was able to handle it.  This all changed in 2020 when I was driving through the area and saw a street sign with exit for the town where they plane crashed. When I saw that sign I literally lost and just started bawling for over an hour, all of the memories came flooding back and since then (almost 2 years ago) I can't get these images out of my head and once they start the other things I witnessed creep in (a murder investigation, Black Hawk crash, numerous suicide attempts (not me but others)) without going into all of the symptoms at the urging of my wife I finally went to the VA and was diagnosed with PTSD and Depression. I have my C&P at the end of the month and I'm of course concerened they will say it's not service connected.  As for evidence I submitted news articles about the crash and a couple of Letters of Appreciation from my commander up to the SAC commander. Also service records will show I was assigned to the Security Police Squadron a the time of the crash.  I would think this would be enough to prove service connection.  What do you think?

6 hours ago, golfette44 said:

@Dustoff 11, I'm getting my claim ready to submit for benefits; it's my first time doing this.  I was also medical in the Army and have non-combat PTSD and I'm not sure what to include in my file.  I saw your comment about offering to provide a "list of the medical and other evidence that has won my claims and appeals."  Would you be willing to share your list with me?  If yes, please let me know the best way to do this.

With both my initial 1985 PTSD and follow on PTSD claims including increase and PTSD TDIU in 1998 I recall a few items I submitted for the PTSD claims.

1. 1970 Vietnam and Japan Army treatment records showing diagnosis of combat stress, anxiety, nervousness, sleep problems, conversion reaction, etc. by Army doctors and flight surgeon.  Gounding from all flight and other duties for 90 days due to above symptoms. Prescription copies for Valium and Seconal in Nam and Japan Army hospital.  Statement by Japan Army psychologist that I was not malingering. 

2.  Copies of DD214 and DD215 showing my Army MOS of Medevac Pilot in Vietnam and award of Purple Heart, Combat Medical Badge,  Air Medals, other Nam medals for 1970.  Copies of my DFC write up recommendation from 173rd Airborne for the flaming shoot down of my medevac chopper, and field award of CMB by 173rd. Copy of Army award recommendation form showing our dead CC recommended for Silver Star and we other 3 for DFC.

3.  Stars & Stripes news article about my medevac being shot down near LZ Uplift in June of 70 and death of our crew chief and injuries to we other 3 crewmen.

4. Hometown news paper article about my Nam combat medevac missions and fatal hostile fire crash.

5. Color photos taking of my burning medevac and remains of the aircraft afterward taken by other rescue pilots landing to rescue us on June 9, 1970.

6. Copies of my 1985 Texas VA hospital treatment and discharge summary for PTSD and Alcohol Abuse to include prescription copies for strong VA PTSD medications.

7. Copies of additional follow on hospital and outpatient treatment copies for PTSD and discharge summaries and continued VA prescriptions for PTSD and Sleep, GERD, High BP problems. 1985 to 2000 and present day.

8. Copies of medical treatment and statements from family doctor and private hospital outpatient for PTSD and Sleep problems. 1985 to 2005.

9.  Repeated statements from me with each claim and claim for increase that ALL my medical problems and life work problems over the years was due to my severe Nam combat stress and PTSD.  Medical problems were severe PTSD, Sleep problems, GERD, IBS, High BP etc. 

10. Copies of all Army orders assigning me to the Nam 498th medevac company, travel orders to and from Nam and Japan. Air Force Air evac C-141 flight from Nam to Japan, orders for Nam in country other 498th duties, copies of army pink payroll slips for in country Nam payment (monthly), etc.

This is all I can recall for now.  Make multi copies and always keep several copies for yourself.  I sent important copies/evidence by certified return U.S. mail to avoid VARO from lying and stating no evidence or no records.  I practice the art of overkill and has worked great for me.  Do not trust the good faith of the government on important issues to you. Good luck.

My comment is not legal advice as I am not a lawyer, paralegal or VSO.

Edited by Dustoff 11

Remember golfette that just like Sleep Apnea, PTSD is composed of many symptoms that include but not limited to depression, anxiety, paranoia, OCD, sleep problems, startled response, hyper sensitive to loud noise, flashbacks, nightmares, etc.  Any combination of these symptoms may be considered PTSD.

See my above comment to your question.

My comment is not legal advice as I am not a lawyer, paralegal or VSO.

Edited by Dustoff 11

@Dustoff 11, thank you for the list.  My list won't be as comprehensive or impressive, but I do have proof of the stressor, awards for event, news articles and a VA plus personal doctor diagnosis for PTSD and meds.  I didn't think about orders for assignment; I'll consider adding those.

I appreciate you typing out the whole list; it's helpful.