VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Need a competent Neurosurgeon for IMO & Medical 2 English Med Records/imaging Translation in Clarksville, TN!!

Rate this question

Cat4Christ777

Question

First, to all who recommend I get a VA lawyer, THANK YOU!! It made all the difference in the world.

One of my recurring medical 'issues' stemming from my military service, triggered by an intentionally botched ACDF (Anterior Cervical Discectomy and Fusion) surgery (performed at David Grant Medical Center at Travis AFB in CA) where my C6-C7 cervical disc ruptured, and one of its pieces fell through my spinal cord fluid and landed on the upper nerve to my right arm, causing nerve pain (the reason for the emergency ACDF). The surgery occurred in June 1995, but the Neurosurgeon who was 'brought in' to perform the surgery verbally communicated to me just prior to that surgery that he was not going to perform the full ACDF because (in his words), "I hate cops."

So, even the report that HE WROTE about that surgery only mentions him removing the ONE PIECE of my disc that was sitting on the upper nerve to my right arm; he did NOT remove any other debris from the ruptured disc, nor did he even look at the C6-C7 area, nor set the vertebrae to fuse straight (or at all). There was only ONE SINGLE CUT MADE to the front of the base of my neck. Medical personnel advised it would take at least 4 months for the vertebrae to fuse after surgery, but I was only given 30 days of post-surgical recovery leave, then had to return to work, under a Profile of 'restricted duty' for another 2 months, before I had to return to full law enforcement patrol duties.

Ultimately, he LEFT the remaining debris from my ruptured disc to float around freely in my spinal cord fluid. As a result, I must sleep ONLY on my LEFT side; if I wake up in ANY OTHER POSITION (back/right side) I wake up with a SEVERE (#10+ on the pain scale) headache coupled with a physical inability to read (looking at a word on a page results in that word leaving the page and any physical plane, and the letters swirling around individually, preventing me from reading it, as if I were looking at that word through a Kaleidoscope).

The first time I experienced this pain was on December 20, 2001 (yes, a few  years after I discharged from the military, in mid 1998, but my spinal stenosis caused by  that surgery is degenerative).  I have provided a Word document with detailed description of that incident (see uploaded file with that date in its name). Ironically, in 2016, I was diagnosed with Primary Hyperparathyroidism, where tumors had grown on all of my parathyroid glands, so needed to be removed with surgeries, both of which were in EXACTLY THE SAME PLACE as the botched ACDF of 1995. The VA put me in that SAME PAIN once again, immediately after the 2nd parathyroidectomy on February 22, 2018 (when the surgical nurses decided to wake me out of Anesthesia by grabbing my arms and yanking me to a sitting position without bothering to support my neck--yes, the neck that had literally just had surgery performed on it!) accompanied by a SEIZURE.

Over the years, beginning during active service (USAF), I have had multiple X-Rays, CT-Scans, and even an MRI performed on my neck, but the language is ALWAYS in medical ('greek') terms, and despite multiple efforts of translating them, I cannot glean anything from that 'information.' I need a medical professional--preferably a qualified Neurosurgeon--to translate these documents, and tell me what is actually going on in my neck with my cervical vertebrae, so I can explain it all to my VA ATTORNEY.

This problem arises because the VA has very distinctive rules regarding Migraine headaches, and my symptoms don't qualify (but I do not know what to call my experiences). The initial head pain I can wake up with has similar symptoms to a migraine (sensitivity to light and sound), but the accompanying complications (not being able to read or a seizure) don't fit into the 'migraine' category.

I need to hire a medical professional to help me. I live in Clarksville, TN. If anyone knows of someone, please let me know.

Dec20-2001 --ERvisit-NCHCS-Mather.docx

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

Your headaches will be rated the same weather they are migraine, cluster, or whatever they are.  

I used to have a website that had Independent medical review Dr's by state, but the site no longer works.  You might be able to google that info for the state you live in.  The info. is still out there somewhere.

As far as your sleep goes, have you thought about an adjustable base under your mattress?  Much like the old Craftmatic commercials.  They got way better ones now.  It's the only way I can sleep decent.  Tempurpedic on an adjustable base.

Thankfully, I found a great bed frame, it's a metal 'day bed' shaped like a couch, as I need to be able to put my back against something (in this case, it's 2 body pillows that serve as the 'back' of my 'couch') to prevent me from turning onto my back or other side. I also found a high-density Lucid memory foam mattress (twin), 2 memory foam head pillows (I set one offset to the other, which is leaned against the back of the bed and bent in half, so the 2nd pillow props the back of my head/neck to help prevent my head pain), as well as a high-density memory foam knee pillow so my knees don't touch/knock at night (and helps keep my spine aligned).

The only thing that works for me is either sleeping on a couch, which I did for over 10 years, or a bed shaped like a couch, like the one I described above (see the picture below).

The real 'problem' with this unique set up is, it's impossible for me to travel, as hotels/motels don't generally have couches in their rooms, and if you want/need one, they will charge you over $300 per night for the 'privilege.' So, if I have to travel, I cannot sleep, at all.

My Bed Pillows.jpg

• HadIt.com Elder

You do need a local attorney to help. You can get one that specializes in VA Claims, Personally I will recommend Katrina Eagle (Attorney) and Jim Radogna (Accredited appeals agent). They are a husband and wife team and are very knowledgeable. They are based out in San Diego.  Both are NOVA members and often travel around the country to train Attorneys and Agents.

Jbasser, I ALREADY HAVE a VA-certified attorney (Leslie Dean of Dean Law in Florida) but she is NOT a doctor, much less a Neurosurgeon. My 'issue' is I CANNOT UNDERSTAND WHAT MY MEDICAL RECORDS ARE SAYING, AS THEY ARE IN MEDICAL TERMS. I should NOT have to go to Medical school just to understand my own records, and NONE of my VA doctors will translate the information for me.

Did you read my original post??? Just guessing here, but it seems no one bothers to read what the poster has said before responding. Honestly, I don't understand that.

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use