VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Exacerbation to SC from Covid-19

Rate this question

x020574

Question

Hi All,

I read a Military Times article about veterans who may be eligible for SC compensation if they contracted Covid while serving. Presumptive???

The article seemed unclear as to whether or not this would also pertain to veterans (out of service) contracted Covid, I had a hospitalization due to Covid recently, I was admitted because Covid made it look like I was having a NSTEMI. It has been determined I had mild cardiomyopathy which has since resolved. I will still need a chem stress test to rule out and damage. FYI...  I am SC for IHD, DMII, etc due to Agent Orange exposure.

What do others think?

2 answers to this question

The presumptive is for currently serving, or recently discharged (like, a few weeks after discharge) veterans. This regulation change doesn't affect anything with other veterans or the process of filing for a claim for them. You would have to establish how the Covid and an SC were connected, just like a normal claim. 

2 hours ago, x020574 said:

The article seemed unclear as to whether or not this would also pertain to veterans (out of service) contracted Covid, I had a hospitalization due to Covid recently, I was admitted because Covid made it look like I was having a NSTEMI. It has been determined I had mild cardiomyopathy which has since resolved. I will still need a chem stress test to rule out and damage. FYI...  I am SC for IHD, DMII, etc due to Agent Orange exposure.

What do others think?

What if I’ve been diagnosed with COVID-19 and need immediate action on my VA appeal?

The Board of Veterans’ Appeals will offer you a priority review to move your appeal to the front of the line. This is called “Advanced on the Board of Veterans’ Appeals Docket” (or AOD). 

Find out how to file for AOD and required documents

Check your VA claim or appeal status online

Due to the fact that COVID-19 was and can be a terminal illness, the VA/BVA was offering assistance to veterans that had open pending claims/appeals to either expedite/advance them if the veteran could prove that he/she was diagnosed and being treated for COVID-19.

A veteran would have to prove that COVID-19 or its side effects made his/her disability worst.  

Coronavirus FAQs: What Veterans Need To Know | Veterans Affairs (va.gov)

Edited by pacmanx1