Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

DBQs Submitted - Now They Want C&P Exams

Rate this question

Top G

Question

I’m a retired US Marine of 20-years service, and currently have a 90% service connected disability rating as of 2009.

Last week I submitted my 6 BDQs for an increase in my disability compensation. Within a day of my submission of VA forms, they evidently reviewed all 6 DBQs and are now asking that I schedule for C&P exams through VES. 

Can I tell the VA that I do not want to go to their exams and ask that they review my claims of my DBQs signed by a medical doctor…and use my submitted medical  records from both my outside doctors and VA doctors?

I just feel like it’s not necessary as I’ve already done what was initially asked and don’t want this taking even longer of a time. I feel they have all they need to base their judgement. 

Appreciate input/recommendations from those more knowledgeable on this than I am. 

8 hours ago, jamescripps2 said:

The VA makes the rules and we are required to go by their rules.

It seems that you want to be allowed to circumvent VA's rules and make your own rules.

I guess that you can do that, but if you want the increase, then be willing to put in the time that it takes to comply with VA's rules or be prepared for a denial and a long drawn out appeal.

I thought I'd responded to this earlier this morning....  At any rate, I did follow the VA's rule, and did not have to attend their C&P Exams as I already submitted my DBQs and all medical records from the VA and outside Doctors.  You must not have read my follow-on with regards to the final outcome of my claim.

1 hour ago, Top G said:

I thought I'd responded to this earlier this morning....  At any rate, I did follow the VA's rule, and did not have to attend their C&P Exams as I already submitted my DBQs and all medical records from the VA and outside Doctors.  You must not have read my follow-on with regards to the final outcome of my claim.

Exactly my point. The rules are to get an exam and DBQ. You did that. Now VA wants you to do an exam with the VA. Why should you have to if you have a DBQ already.

Great job on your decision and success.

Depends on if the DBQ was: filled out correctly, provided sufficient rationale, actually looked at your records, etc- I see a lot of pvt DBQs that are jacked up and hardly worth anything because they write a few sentences about how "in their opinion" its related to X/Y/Z but provide no reasoning behind it. These aren't a doctor's note to the principal, they have to have certain things in them, and a lot of private doctors don't put enough into them to be much more than a lay statement with some extra weight, perhaps. 

Generally, yes, if we have private DBQs it can forego the need for a C&P exam, but it depends on how they are completed, what information they reference in your records, if they use solid language (make an actual opinion rather than an assumption, or dancing around it and not making a definitive opinion at all). 

So my comments are that the VA has implemented a form called a DBQ. I am sure that VA medical staff had some type of training for it since that in the past, VA did c&p exams. Now VA do not perform c&p exams but states get a DBQ from your private doc. I am sure that a private doc didn't get that training in med school. Now it's used against the vet because of not being properly filled out. 

VA does C&P exams still, it just depends on capacity and availability of examiners to do them. Examiners receive training that a clinician does not have- clinicians are not involved in the disability process. 

As for a private doc doing a DBQ- its not that hard- its 90% follow the instructions- which some of them don't bother to do. Probably 20% of the exam requests I schedule are due to having private DBQs that are inadequate or do not provide enough backup for the assertions they are making, or are from chiropractors and GPs trying to diagnose hematological blood diseases or cancers or MH issues or some other thing way outside their wheelhouse. Just because M.D or APRN or whatever appears after a provider's name doesn't mean they are the best person to be filling it out. Chiro's especially. 

I do agree with you broken. Some VA facilities still perform c&p exams. Mainly larger cities like Detroit. Now on the other hand, I do not have a VA hosp, just a clinic.

The advice that I get is try to get a DBQ from your private doc to help support your claim. As stated, examiners get the training, not clinicians. Agree. Now where do some vets go, a clinic.

No it's not that hard for a clinician to perform and exam and properly fill out a DBQ. So some will short cut it or like my private doc told me, that's VA business and he will not do a DBQ . The ones that are improperly filled out triggers the VA and then VA orders an exam, right?

Now this is where the vets get fed up, hire a lawyer. The lawyer is familiar with dbq and wording and will send the vet to the law firm examiner. That dbq is reviewed by the attorney, sent forward and now the rater takes a look, research and find something that will trigger another c&p exam.

I have seen it happen.