Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Can Depression Lead To Overweight?

Rate this question

Cherie33

Question

Hello Fellow Disabled Vets,

I was just thinking. I had filed a claim some time ago regarding my asthma problem. I was diagnosed with asthma about 3 years ago by my VA Primary care doctor. I have been on inhalers sine then. When I filed my claim the C & P doctor that examined me for my asthma said that it was due to me being overweight..(Go figure) So, the VA turned my claim down. Anyway, I was reading some info onlie about Depression and being overweight. I thought maybe since I am 10% disabled for IBS(Irritable Bowel Syndrome) & 50% (Major Depressive Disorder w/Psychotic Features) combined %60. That my depression brought on the being overweight and the overweight brought on the asthma.

I know that this is probably a long shot but any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Cherie33

• Answers 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Also weight gain can cause diabetes-

and that could involve many secondary complications-

A few years ago after the AO DMII regs came out -some of the docs at local VAMC were saying to DMII vets that they had "dia -obesity"-

the VA was attempting to deny these AO claims for DMII saying the vet had diabetes because they were obese- then suddenly the docs stopped saying stuff like that-I think a local vet called the IG on them-

You can even see in BVA cases where the C & P doc was using obesity as an excuse for the diabetes to attempt to overlook that the AO caused it.

So basically-if VA causes by medications or whatever- a veteran to have any sort of weight loss or gain and then the vet develops ratable complications of that weight probelm, the VA can secondarily service connect those additional disabilties.

Ok...Berta, so if I can prove that the medication that I have been placed on has contributed to my weight gain and then the weight gain lead to my asthma, then I possibly could get service connected for both situations? Now, in this case am I opening a new claim or appending my current disability rating. I know that I appealed their decision to leave my 10% for IBS (Irritable Bowel SYndrome) the same. I told them and got notes from my doctor that it has indeed gotten worse and it should be increased to 30%. I am still waiting on that. When I file this claim, will it affect the other one?

Cherie33

Ok...Berta, so if I can prove that the medication that I have been placed on has contributed to my weight gain and then the weight gain lead to my asthma, then I possibly could get service connected for both situations? Now, in this case am I opening a new claim or appending my current disability rating. I know that I appealed their decision to leave my 10% for IBS (Irritable Bowel SYndrome) the same. I told them and got notes from my doctor that it has indeed gotten worse and it should be increased to 30%. I am still waiting on that. When I file this claim, will it affect the other one?

Cherie33 :lol:

Hi. I submitted an informal claim for obesity as a secondary condition related to depression from my SC'd conditions. I indicated that obesity is now considered by some as a distinct disease entity itself. I don't know of any case decision that granted SC for obesity, however, I suspect it won't be long before someone wins one.

Hello Fellow Disabled Vets,

I was just thinking. I had filed a claim some time ago regarding my asthma problem. I was diagnosed with asthma about 3 years ago by my VA Primary care doctor. I have been on inhalers sine then. When I filed my claim the C & P doctor that examined me for my asthma said that it was due to me being overweight..(Go figure) So, the VA turned my claim down. Anyway, I was reading some info onlie about Depression and being overweight. I thought maybe since I am 10% disabled for IBS(Irritable Bowel Syndrome) & 50% (Major Depressive Disorder w/Psychotic Features) combined %60. That my depression brought on the being overweight and the overweight brought on the asthma.

I know that this is probably a long shot but any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Cherie33

under what schedular subsection would you rate that as...all i can find about weight is the gulf war syndrome.

-Spike-

Vet Advocate

--------------

• HadIt.com Elder

Events occur in service that can be traumatic. for example, If a Vet was marked or assaulted and had to go into hiding in fear of their own life. This could lead to PTSD . Since the Vet has gained weight and is resulted from the PTSD and it can be proven fromt he stressor. The Obesity, the secondary causes like DMII, Osteoperosis, Spinal, Knee, foot problems caused by the weight should be granted.

The Kicker is getting an MD to place the conditions in relativer equipose. It can be done.

A Veteran is a person who served this country. Treat them with respect.

A Disabled Veteran is a person who served this country and bears the scars of that service regardless of when or where they served.

Treat them with the upmost respect. I do. Rejection is not a sign of failure. Failure is not an option, Medical opinions and evidence wins claims. Trust in others is a virtue but you take the T out of Trust and you are left with Rust so be wise about who you are dealing with.

But how can weight increase (lbs wise) give you an SC increase on those things.

-Spike-

Vet Advocate

--------------