Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Spouse substitution and TDIU question

Rate this question

Vync

Question

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

These questions are regarding a case of a retired military veteran in their 70s who just filed for AO issues including hypothyroidism, plus some head injury related issues and some other things.

1. If the veteran passes away before the VA can do their exams, can their spouse file for substitution and have the VA base ratings on medical evidence of record and their lay statements? Currently, the veteran is relatively stable, but the family is asking for advice just in case things go downhill fast.

2. After retiring from the Army, they continued to work as a security guard. A few years ago, side effects of Parkinson's-like symptoms and dementia (we think is related to AO, hypothyroidism, and the head injuries) resulted in forced retirement for their own safety. If he wins and has not yet passed away, would the VA potentially have to consider IU or TDIU? Does age factor into IU/TDIU consideration?

Thanks!

Edited by Vync
Clarified the IU/TDIU question

"If it's stupid but works, then it isn't stupid."
- From Murphy's Laws of Combat

Disclaimer: I am not a legal expert, so use at own risk and/or consult a qualified professional representative. Please refer to existing VA laws, regulations, and policies for the most up to date information.

4 answers to this question

Yes on the first. Depends on the second. I don’t know if they can get IU if they pass- maybe up to the deceased date if that happened. Afterwards, potentially DIC. I’ve not worked DIC and post death, though- I think thats a different group, or fiduciary, that works those. 

The Earth is degenerating these days. Bribery and corruption abound.Children no longer mind their parents, every man wants to write a book,and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching. --17 different possible sources, all lacking verifiable attribution.

B.S. Doane College, Mgt Info Systems/Systems Analysis 2008

M.S.Ed. Purdue University, Instructional Development and Technology, Feb. 2021

M.S. Purdue University Information Technology/InfoSec, Dec 2022

100% P/T

MDD

Spine

Radiculopathy

Sleep Apnea

Some other stuff

-------------------------------------------
B.S. Info Systems Mgt/Systems Analysis-Doane College 2008
M.S. Instructional Technology and Design- Purdue University 2021

(I AM NOT A RATER- I work the claims BEFORE they are rated, annotating medical evidence in your records, VA and Legal documents,  and DA/DD forms- basically a paralegal/vso/etc except that I also evaluate your records based on Caluza and try to justify and schedule the exams that you go to based on whether or not your records have enough in them to warrant those)

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

@brokensoldier244th He's currently not getting any worse, but was curious. The IU question was based on him still being alive. Wondered if the VA dismisses IU/TDIU consideration when the veteran is older...

"If it's stupid but works, then it isn't stupid."
- From Murphy's Laws of Combat

Disclaimer: I am not a legal expert, so use at own risk and/or consult a qualified professional representative. Please refer to existing VA laws, regulations, and policies for the most up to date information.

Well, IU is just 100% with strings attached. They may very well just make him 100%, too. Im not a rater, though, so I try not to wade too far into that murk.

The Earth is degenerating these days. Bribery and corruption abound.Children no longer mind their parents, every man wants to write a book,and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching. --17 different possible sources, all lacking verifiable attribution.

B.S. Doane College, Mgt Info Systems/Systems Analysis 2008

M.S.Ed. Purdue University, Instructional Development and Technology, Feb. 2021

M.S. Purdue University Information Technology/InfoSec, Dec 2022

100% P/T

MDD

Spine

Radiculopathy

Sleep Apnea

Some other stuff

-------------------------------------------
B.S. Info Systems Mgt/Systems Analysis-Doane College 2008
M.S. Instructional Technology and Design- Purdue University 2021

(I AM NOT A RATER- I work the claims BEFORE they are rated, annotating medical evidence in your records, VA and Legal documents,  and DA/DD forms- basically a paralegal/vso/etc except that I also evaluate your records based on Caluza and try to justify and schedule the exams that you go to based on whether or not your records have enough in them to warrant those)

1.  Yes.  Substitution of claimant happens when the dependent files it after the Veteran is deceased, but the Veterans claim has not been fully processed or appealed.  It sounds like an IMO is possible also, because an IMO is an interpretation of the medical records available, and those interpretations can differ.    Of course, once deceased, the medical records stop being accumulated and the autopsy record applies also, if there is an autopsy.  

Sometimes autopsies are needed to verify a claim, especially with DIC.  

2. No.   Your age is not supposed to be a factor with tdiu.  TDIU is the inability to maintain Substantial gainful employment due to SC conditions.  This could happen at any age.  

Source:  38CFR 4.19 and for further information, CCK law, here:

https://cck-law.com/veterans-law/does-va-consider-age-as-a-factor-for-tdiu/#:~:text=The VA is not supposed,when making decisions on TDIU.