Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Explanation of Disability Compensation

Rate this question

Scottish_Knight

Question

Right then,

last year I won my CUE claim with the help of many here and I received a nice amount of retro pay.  Well, I did my German taxes earlier this year and needless to say, that Retro Pay got some attention.  In the past, I claimed my retirement and disability and it went smoothly.  These are not taxed here in Germany, but I simply need to report the income.  Seems someone at the German Tax Office (Finanzamt) didn't understand the treaty between the USA and Germany, so I was sent a bill for 11000 Euros!  I've had to hire a tax expert and this has actually become work. 

One of the things I need and cannot find is an explanation on the disability compensation system.  Germany recognises military injuries and illnesses much like the Americans.  Their's go two ways. One is for life and the other is term or limited until retirement age.  The US type is different and more fluid, so to say.  It can change or the disability rating can change, as we all know.  But I can find nothing that clarifies how the disability compensation works.  I need something official with a letter from the VA or DoD or similar.  Does anyone know of such a website or document that can clarify how this maddening system works?

For the Germans, limited is seen as an income and is taxed, whereas life is non-taxed.  Our is basically a lifetime compensation, but it can change at any time through an examination. 

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

Good news, hope this helps and solve your problem.

My intentions are to help, my advice maybe wrong, be your own advocate and know what is in your C-File and the 38 CFR that governs your disabilities and conditions.

Do your own homework. No one knows the veteran’s symptoms like the veteran. Never Give Up.

I do not give my consent for anyone to view my personal VA records.