Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Paxil and GERD

Rate this question

Ranmic

Question

I have a couple of questions.  I have been taking Paxil for awhile now and have developed acid reflux (GERD).  I have a constant nagging cough, heartburn and sometimes stomach acid will come up.  I know one of the side affects of Paxil that I have read is GERD or acid reflux but have any of you dealt with this?

Also, should I file this as a new claim and list that taking Paxil for my mood disorder is the cause?  I'm assuming that is the way to go as I don't think I want to file for an increase in mood disorder and say the increase is for gerd/acid reflux.

Thank you for any help you can provide.

Greetings Ranmic,

I am doing the same thing,

The way that I am not asking for an increase for my PTSD as well. So I am claiming GERD secondary to my sc PTSD.

When doing the form, it ask for current disability. I put GERD. It ask questions as to how the condition came about. Medications (name) taken for PTSD. 

Now who knows, VA may still reevaluate your PTSD. VA usually reevaluate PTSD every 5 years until age 55 or 100 permanent and total. 

To add to it, make sure that you are diagnosed with GERD. Not sure it if tests are required. 

Don't just use Paxil for the main cause. If you are taking other medications, read the side effects to include otc meds. 

I am diagnosed with PTSD with anxiety depression insomnia and alcohol abuse. Sometimes I self medicate with alcohol. The VA may use alcohol abuse against me. 

I also take gabapentin, naproxen, trazadone bupropion. These meds can build up acid as well. 

Look at your medication list. 

I am also attaching a statement of support for my claim, don't know if it will help. We will see. 

1 hour ago, Whodat said:

Greetings Ranmic,

I am doing the same thing,

The way that I am not asking for an increase for my PTSD as well. So I am claiming GERD secondary to my sc PTSD.

When doing the form, it ask for current disability. I put GERD. It ask questions as to how the condition came about. Medications (name) taken for PTSD. 

Now who knows, VA may still reevaluate your PTSD. VA usually reevaluate PTSD every 5 years until age 55 or 100 permanent and total. 

Thanks brother, I appreciate that info and yes, I'm asking for a secondary to my sc PTSD and claiming gerd.  I am not currently diagnosed with gerd but that was the route I was heading.  I mentioned it to my VA Doc recently and asked if there is anything I can do to help it.  Haven't heard back from her yet.   Maybe I should get her to address it before I go the route of trying to claim it.  Assuming is I can get her to address it then I will have some medical backing, vice me just claiming it and hoping the C&P person will write in my favor.

I am not trying to discourage you at all. But how tough the VA is today and to save you some time, go to your pct, as you have already mentioned, get a diagnosis, get treatment such as a prescription for heartburn if you have those symptoms. You must show some type of continuity of treatment. 

8 minutes ago, Whodat said:

I am not trying to discourage you at all. But how tough the VA is today and to save you some time, go to your pct, as you have already mentioned, get a diagnosis, get treatment such as a prescription for heartburn if you have those symptoms. You must show some type of continuity of treatment. 

totally agree.  thanks for the advice.