VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Do I qualify for SMC?

Rate this question

Lemuel

Question

• HadIt.com Elder
1 hour ago, broncovet said:

I agree with Lemeul, that many people will pay not to see ads.  So, the free version could have ads, while people who pay, say $50 per year should get ad free.  I think that may be the way it was in the past.  

PM, for example, could also be reserved for premium subscription holders and moderators.  

In other words, the "free" version could prevent PM, while a paid subscription would allow additional things such as PM, (for a more personal experience), perhaps additional "goodies" such as a VA nationwide phone directory, or, perhaps things like access to VA fast letters.  

People often pay for convenience or to save time.  As an example, specific advice on "effective date appeals" could save hours of searching, some of which members are privy to, and others not so much.  

Appeals on "effective dates" suggests these people have already won their benefits, but want/deserve an earlier date, so they may not be "as broke" as someone with zero benefits.  And it would be worth it to have great advice on effective dates especially if it meant you need not hire an attorney for thousands of bucks.  I have no idea if this is doable or not, I am just noting that "the free hadit" version should be for people desperate to get their benefits or be homeless (like I was), but if they are already 100 percent, it takes the pressure off many of us so we can go for those SMC's and EED's.  

I have not looked into SMC yet.  Do not know if I qualify.  I am finding that I do not quite qualify for caregiver qualified monetary support by get things like bathroom supports installed.  Did not apply for but may have gotten the electric bed with the incline I need to sleep.  Spent a year in sleeping in a recliner before getting the king size split electric bed with hospital like head and foot adjustments plus a vibrator to prevent bed sores when I spend a lot of time in bed like when I fractured my kneecap from a fall last year.

Would appreciate a reference to a question raised on the subject.  If none I will ask my own question.

• Answers 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

A law firm "is not permitted" to represent you until you have been denied.  So, before calling a lawyer, go ahead and apply for SMC that you think you may qualify for.  Then, if denied, you can get a lawyer to help you.  

Lawyers dont help Vets apply for benefits, they help them with appeals.    

Source:

https://www.military.com/militaryadvantage/2018/10/22/should-you-hire-lawyer-file-va-disability-claim.html

Thus, attorney representation is not needed until/unless you are denied benefits.  

Its called "pension poaching".  Its when lawyers help Vets "get their pension" when a VSO can do the same for free.  Its unethical and lawyers can not get paid until/unless you have at least one denial first. 

The VA does not always grant veterans the maximum benefits allowed including SMC ratings, which forces veterans to file a claim and or an appeal for it. See Buie V Shinseki 24 Vet. App. 242, 250 (2010). Since this is a Precedential Decision, you can bet that the VA has not been properly awarding veterans SMC ratings. 

• HadIt.com Elder

My application for SMC is in process on the Benefits side.  My application for "Dedicated Care" is in process on the Health Care side.  

Beginning to get an understanding of the "care giver" benefits.  Have been having CNA care three days per week helping with bathing and doing some help with house work.  Wife fell just before Christmas in 2022 and passed away from residuals December 11, 2023 after I put in her SMC application.  Did not know SMC also applied to spouses of 100% veterans until I looked up SMC.  Her application is mute.

My application is in the process for SMC and will probably wait on the primary care consults to occupational therapy and physical therapy for "dedicated care".

Back to Phoenix -- Cheyenne VA crisis in 2012 with a new twist.  If you experience this report it to the Whitehouse Hotline.  I received appointment reminders on the appointments I made after calling the Whitehouse Hotline and complaining because Kazuko's SMC was in process (though mute now) but mine was not though they were handed in to Benefits and sent primary care on the same date. The appointments were for 1/10/24.

On 1/8/24 I received reminder cards for the appointments.  On 1/9/24 I received a letter telling me to call.  It was too late to call and I was going in the next day for the appointments so thought I could handle the problem in person.

When I checked in I was told that my appointments had been cancelled on 1/2/24 and that I had been called.  Was told they only had to make one phone call.

When I got back home and went to work on it yesterday, I found the appointment reminder cards and the letter telling me to call had both been printed on 12/29/23.  That I had received a voicemail of 4 tenths of a second, which amounted to a hang up click on 1/2/24.

The expectation that I would receive the letter over that Holiday weekend by 1/2/24 was incredulous to me.  I called the Whitehouse Hotline again to complain about the delay and ask for an admission to the neurobehavioral ward at the Denver VA to get this problem and the problem of the GI unit at Cheyenne closing and canceling my appointment to have multiple pullups removed with a preprocedural admission.

So something is definitely going wrong at Cheyenne again.  Staff left.  The proctologist, my primary care physician and apparently staff in the Occupational and Physical therapy clinics.

How are things where you are?

Put in for the travel pay for that trip, b/c you showed up.  Not your fault it was canceled and you didn't receive notice.