Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

C&P Reports and VBMS Access

Rate this question

RBrogen

Question

Hi Everyone,

It's been a hot minute since I've been on but hope all are doing well.  I've been assisting a few vets with the claims process and I have a 75 y/o Vietnam vet how has a lot of scars secondary to heart operation that is currently service connected.  We filed for his scars back in May 2022, after multiple C&Ps, he got a decision on 12/23/2022 that service connected every scar with "0% rating - Final Decision Deferred".  When I was going throught the process, about 3-4 weeks after the C&P my report would be uploaded to myhealthvet.com Blue Button records.  This vet has can't seem to get the VA to upload anything to his account and he keeps getting bounced around and now was forced to file a FOIA for the C&P reports.  What a damn crock of crap forcing vets to damn near sue to get their own C&P reports.  Anyway, I digress, I had read that if we contact an accredited VSO who has access to the VBMS system that they could download and send him the C&P reports (obviously with the appropriate 21-22a completed).  I wanted to gut check the vast experience here to see if anyone else is; having the same issues getting records and/or have ever been able to get records from accredited VSO?

Thanks in advance,

Randy

rackamall.jpg

Probably the fastest and easiest way (for me, in my experience) for the VETERAN to go to your VAMC "release of Information office" and ask for  a copy of that exam. (have the date of the exam available).  At my VAMC, if you sign the consent form (release of information), you can walk out with a copy of exam in 10-20 minutes.   You may be able to do that if you have POA and can show it to them.  

This has worked for me several times.  I can not say that your VAMC is the same.  

If you request a complete copy of your medical file (at my VAMC, again), then they mail it to you, because many medical files, including mine, are hundreds of pages long.  

I think they still give paper copies, Im not sure if they have electronic copies available at my VAMC or not.  

Caveat:  Sometimes you can not easily obtain "outsourced" exams (QTC, etc) that way.  But "in house" VA medical exams are available.  I have seen QTC exams delayed, sometimes indefinitely.  

But my VAMC does not make heavy use of QTC exams.  I have had multiple exams, and all were VA exams, and none were QTC, or other contractor.  (I should add, here, we dont always know if the person examining us is a va employee or not.  We see a white coat, and we are at The VAMC, so we assume they are VA employees.  However, that assumption is not always true.  

All of the above may/ or may not still be the policy of my VAMC, as I have not had a C and P exam for probably 5 plus years..probably longer, I dont recall.  

Edited by broncovet

• Adminstrator

Yes this has changed.  I started with the process and then was told the new way to get them.  I was stupefied at how long this will take.  I thought Ok this should take a month?  Two at most.

I was way wrong.  They sent me a letter stating it was coming, but still nothing.  I will update once they send the CD

9 hours ago, shrekthetank1 said:

Yes this has changed.  I started with the process and then was told the new way to get them.  I was stupefied at how long this will take.  I thought Ok this should take a month?  Two at most.

I was way wrong.  They sent me a letter stating it was coming, but still nothing.  I will update once they send the CD

You are referring to getting your c-file correct?  We are talking about getting copy of very specific C&P exam(s).  The c-file would definitely take longer.

rackamall.jpg

9 hours ago, broncovet said:

Probably the fastest and easiest way (for me, in my experience) for the VETERAN to go to your VAMC "release of Information office" and ask for  a copy of that exam. (have the date of the exam available).  At my VAMC, if you sign the consent form (release of information), you can walk out with a copy of exam in 10-20 minutes.   You may be able to do that if you have POA and can show it to them.  

This has worked for me several times.  I can not say that your VAMC is the same.  

If you request a complete copy of your medical file (at my VAMC, again), then they mail it to you, because many medical files, including mine, are hundreds of pages long.  

I think they still give paper copies, Im not sure if they have electronic copies available at my VAMC or not.  

Caveat:  Sometimes you can not easily obtain "outsourced" exams (QTC, etc) that way.  But "in house" VA medical exams are available.  I have seen QTC exams delayed, sometimes indefinitely.  

But my VAMC does not make heavy use of QTC exams.  I have had multiple exams, and all were VA exams, and none were QTC, or other contractor.  (I should add, here, we dont always know if the person examining us is a va employee or not.  We see a white coat, and we are at The VAMC, so we assume they are VA employees.  However, that assumption is not always true.  

All of the above may/ or may not still be the policy of my VAMC, as I have not had a C and P exam for probably 5 plus years..probably longer, I dont recall.  

Hey Broncovet!!! Long time no speak.  So if I had my 75 y/o buddy go to the VAMC, say his primary care location, and request it then you think they may provide it?

rackamall.jpg