Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

C&P Reports and VBMS Access

Rate this question

RBrogen

Question

Hi Everyone,

It's been a hot minute since I've been on but hope all are doing well.  I've been assisting a few vets with the claims process and I have a 75 y/o Vietnam vet how has a lot of scars secondary to heart operation that is currently service connected.  We filed for his scars back in May 2022, after multiple C&Ps, he got a decision on 12/23/2022 that service connected every scar with "0% rating - Final Decision Deferred".  When I was going throught the process, about 3-4 weeks after the C&P my report would be uploaded to myhealthvet.com Blue Button records.  This vet has can't seem to get the VA to upload anything to his account and he keeps getting bounced around and now was forced to file a FOIA for the C&P reports.  What a damn crock of crap forcing vets to damn near sue to get their own C&P reports.  Anyway, I digress, I had read that if we contact an accredited VSO who has access to the VBMS system that they could download and send him the C&P reports (obviously with the appropriate 21-22a completed).  I wanted to gut check the vast experience here to see if anyone else is; having the same issues getting records and/or have ever been able to get records from accredited VSO?

Thanks in advance,

Randy

rackamall.jpg

20 minutes ago, broncovet said:

Yes, BRogan.  Send your Vet to his VAMC "release of information office", with his ID, of course, and the date of the exam. Ask for that specific exam

Ok I think we all understand that the VA Comp exams are no longer done by the hospital. An to our can't get a copy of these exams.

If this was the case you would still see them on my health.

Now the going to the VA regional office. I am not totally sure but I think they did release them either.

The foia is the only way to get a copy of the contractors exams 

VA "has discretion" as to whether to order an "in house" VA exam, done by a VA provider, or to hire QTC or other contractor to provide them.  

Typically, if they have VA providers available, they use them.  If backed up, to provide an Exam for Veterans, they can, at their discretion, use QTC or other contractor.  

So, yes, C and P exams are still done by the hospital, but, perhaps, not in your area.  They are still done here.  

The OP did not indicate if they were contractor exams.  

To repeat (especially if the exam was done at the VAMC), tell the Veteran to go to the VAMC where the exam was given, and get a copy at Release of Information.  

Dont make it complicated.  Its only complicated if a contractor does it and neither the VA nor the contractor release the exam results.  

VA does not hire contractors for every exam.  

Further, even if done by a contractor, this exam should eventually wind up in the VETERANS medical file at his/her VAMC.   

The VA may/ or may not delay the exam results from being a part of his medical record.  

The medical records office should have all records for the Veteran, unless the Veteran has declined to have those records released to VA.  

This is the whole idea behind VA health care.  I can walk into a VAMC "in a distant city" and go to a doc there and this doc can view my records online, because they are stored at the local VAMC.  

This should improve health care.  For example, if I was traveling, and in an accident, a VA doc in another city could look in my records and see if I have allergies to certain meds.  

Is it guaranteed the Veteran can git his records at the local VAMC ?  No. But its way, way faster and easier than most of the other ideas mentioned, such as a FOIA.  

The next easiest fastest way, after going to the local VAMC, is to check VBMS.  This, of course requires either a VSO or attorney with VBMS access and the applicable POA filed.  

Its Occam's Razor: The simplest method is the best.  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Occam's_razor

This is all I have to say about that.  

Edited by broncovet

2 hours ago, El Train said:

I mean, why not send the C&P exam results with the decision letter?  They've reviewed the exam that led them to their decision, so they have it.  The clock starts ticking when the packet has been received via priority mail (the Veteran signed for it).  I've had decision packets not show up.  It happens.  Problem solved.

Exactly!  However, it doesn't benefit the VA to have informed, prepared veterans.

rackamall.jpg

3 hours ago, broncovet said:

Yes, BRogan.  Send your Vet to his VAMC "release of information office", with his ID, of course, and the date of the exam. Ask for that specific exam.  

I have done this multiple times, but not recently, and it always worked.  

You may be able to go in his behalf, "if" you have a written POA.  (Especially if he is elderly, and you choose to help him this way).  Or, just go with him.  

I never ceased to be amazed at how much you can accomplish "by simply asking" the right person.  And, the VAMC "release of information" office's job is to provide Veterans their medical records.  This is what you want.  

Dont do a FOIA or the other stuff until you have tried this first.  As I said, its simple, easy, and fast.  

If he does not know where that office is, in his hospital, simply ask someone.  At my VAMC there is a "volunteer office" where volunteers help Vets, among other things, find things in the hospital.  

"Ask" and ye shall receive.  At the VA its "Ask the right person".  Sometimes its hard to find out who that is, but this time, it should be easy peasey.  

Think about it.  You get an EKG at VA.  So the VA needs to send you outside for cardiologist.  That cardiologist may well want to see EKG's on you, and especially your EKG history, to tell if your EKG is normal "For YOU", but maybe not normal for everyone else.  (people are different, as are their medical needs).  

They need those records, and need them now!!!!

It could be life threatening.  The cardiologist may well need the medical information in your file to make informed decisions about your treatment.  

The VAMC needs to have this information available, and not in 8 months, either.  

VA's often dont have every service available at every VAMC.  They may or may not be able to do heart surgery, (mine does not).  

And, you need to be able to go in and get your medical records, pronto.  Or, perhaps, release those records electronically or otherwise, to a doctor of your choosing. 

Every hospital needs to have an office which manages medical records, and this includes VA. 

You have a right to your medical records, and this does not mean in 14 months. 

Remember, VBA (Veterans benefits Administration) and VAMC (Veterans medical) are different departments.  They cooperate, (supposedly) but the medical, in my opinion, can get your records much much faster.  

My 75 y/o vet friend is going to go to the VMAC with release form in hand to see if that will work.  According to this page on va.gov you should be able to:  https://www.va.gov/boston-health-care/medical-records-office/

I'll keep you posted and thanks for the advice Bronco!

rackamall.jpg