VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Medical for family?

Rate this question

Ronc531

Question

No, there are no medical benefits for a 90%  disabled veterans dependents. Only for 100% P&T or TDIU. If you are 90%  and cannot work I would suggest that you apply for TDIU. If granted TDIU you would be paid at the 100% rate and CHAMPVA insurance would provide medical benefits for your dependents. Chapter 35 benefits would also provide education benefits.

Otherwize, revue your claims foulder to see if you might be able to file an additional claim or file for an increase on an already service connected condition.

TDIU = Totally disabled and Individually unemployable

2 hours ago, jamescripps2 said:

No, there are no medical benefits for a 90% disabled veterans dependents. Only for 100% P&T or TDIU. If you are 90% and cannot work, I would suggest that you apply for TDIU. If granted TDIU you would be paid at the 100% rate and CHAMPVA insurance would provide medical benefits for your dependents. Chapter 35 benefits would also provide education benefits.

No, this statement is off and not true. As far as I know a combined 90% rated veteran and a TDIU rated veteran are in the same situation as having no additional benefits for their family. A veteran must be rated 100% P & T or TDIU P & T and the emphasis is on P & T. P & T rated veterans are awarded CH 35 DEA and CHAMPVA. Being rated TDIU would award the Veteran the 100% rate of pay but no additional benefits for the family. 

21-8760 (va.gov)

12 hours ago, pacmanx1 said:

No, this statement is off and not true. As far as I know a combined 90% rated veteran and a TDIU rated veteran are in the same situation as having no additional benefits for their family. A veteran must be rated 100% P & T or TDIU P & T and the emphasis is on P & T. P & T rated veterans are awarded CH 35 DEA and CHAMPVA. Being rated TDIU would award the Veteran the 100% rate of pay but no additional benefits for the family. 

21-8760 (va.gov)

What is P&T? But at any rate there is no way that I can get my wife covered by the VA no matter what? 

I feel I should be at 100% but I was told by the agency that helped me file for my last rate increase that it was possible if they reevaluated me they could lower my rating and I barely made the 90% and was worried that any change that would result in a lower rating on any of my conditions would drop me to 80%.

I have to work to have insurance for my wife and son even though I am 100% covered by VA. But My hands and feet are so bad (neuropathy) that I can't walk very good and my hands hardly function any more. I am only rated at 10% for each foot but it should be max.

any suggestion anyone

Jamesscripp2 was correct in the fact that if your disabilities are worst, you should file for an increase or increases in benefits. Also, if your service-connected disabilities cause a new disability, then you can claim that/those and be awarded service connection for it or them. They would be called secondary service-connected disabilities.

As to you losing your current disability rating, this is pure fear mongering and as long as your disabilities have been the same or worst since your last rating, you will not lose your benefits. I hate to tell you, but a lot of veterans get this stupid information that cause so many problems. I was told the same thing when I was rated 30% years ago, and I am now rated 100% P & T.

As for P & T, it is an ancillary benefit given to veterans who disability or disabilities are determined to most likely last for the rest of the veteran’s lifetime. I did attach a copy of the form that is normally sent out in a veteran’s packet that is awarded P & T. Just click on the form VA Form 21-8760.  What are you service connected for and your rating percentages?  Maybe we can help or guide you to filing new claims.

I will tell you that it is somewhat hard to go from 90% to 100% but it is not impossible because I did it, but I needed an additional separate 40% to reach the 95% where the VA rounds up and rate a veteran 100% but since some of my disabilities will never go away, I was awarded 100% P & T.

As for TDIU, TDIU is for veterans who disabilities are so severe that they cannot work and have a medical opinion that their service-connected disability or disabilities make them unemployable.

Edited by pacmanx1

P&T is permanent and total. You can either file for the TDIU or you can file for an increase on the neuropathy, but without having the schedular 100% p&T or havinrrg TDIU P&T, unfortenatetly, the dependent insurance is just not going to happen.

If you refuse to file out of fear of a reduction you are just stuck at 90% and you can expect to never obtain a higher rating.

Example. I was granted 10% per limb for neuropathy, I filed for an increase and was awarded 30% per limb. I again filed for an increase and was granted 40% per limb. I appealed and was granted 100% for loss of use of lower limbs and another 100% forloss of use of upper limbs.

If your service officer would rather talk you out of filing for an increase than filing on the increase, replace that service officer, or file it yourself.

At this time I am rated at R-2. Can you even imagine how many times one has to file for an increase or just outright appeal a decision to finally reach the maximum rating? The fear of being reduced never hendered me or kept me from filing. I not only was working for my own benefits but for benefits for my family as well.