VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Migraine rating increase question

Rate this question

jm0365

Question

Hello,

I currently have a combined 80% rating (70% bipolar, 30% migraines, 10% tinnitus), and also have a higher level review for asthma.

I am considering filing for an increase to my migraine rating. When I read the 50% criteria I fit the boxes pretty clear. My question is how is the information verified for the C&P exam? Is it just an interview to ask me my symptoms now, or is there something more rigorous? I seems like a hard thing prove how symptoms have worsened.

Any help is great. Thanks!

Joshua

6 answers to this question

If you haven't started it already, go on your phone and download a free migraine log and keep it updated.  This will help during your C&P when they ask about frequency of the migraines.  It is much better to state the exact dates you had them than to say I have them once or twice a week. 

They will ask about debilitating episodes, how often; triggers, if known. When they started, when they got worse, etc. There isn't anything 'rigorous', like, they aren't going to make you run laps, or inhale things, or play rave music to try to trigger a response. If you have private records I would get them added/uploaded before the appt so the examiner has them as part of the electronic record for review.  You can also look at the DBQ they will be using, its online. 

chrome-extension://efaidnbmnnnibpcajpcglclefindmkaj/https://www.benefits.va.gov/compensation/docs/Headaches_Including_Migraines.pdf

Headaches_Including_Migraines.pdf

16 minutes ago, brokensoldier244th said:

They will ask about debilitating episodes, how often; triggers, if known. When they started, when they got worse, etc. There isn't anything 'rigorous', like, they aren't going to make you run laps, or inhale things, or play rave music to try to trigger a response. If you have private records I would get them added/uploaded before the appt so the examiner has them as part of the electronic record for review.  You can also look at the DBQ they will be using, its online. 

chrome-extension://efaidnbmnnnibpcajpcglclefindmkaj/https://www.benefits.va.gov/compensation/docs/Headaches_Including_Migraines.pdf

Headaches_Including_Migraines.pdf 1.43 MB · 1 download

Ok, but it's an evaluation of subjective experiences. Right? When I got my initial rating I submitted evidence from my primary care doctor and a neurologist. I don't have any of that now, just my reporting that it's not getting better and it's definitely getting worse.

If you already submitted that before it is already of record. Read the DBQ, that will tell you exactly what they are looking at. If you have evidence that can 'fill in' any of the individual sections upload it prior so its part of your record. If it is Capri/VAMC, pull it up in My Health Vet and read through it so you can make references to it with approximate dates, etc. The Examiner can see it too, as can the rater, and the VSRs, but its a lot easier for us to mark it up for the rater if we know where in your records to look to mark it (rather that  reading the whole thing back to your prior rating). 

• Community Owner

I would lookup the DBQ and see what is says. Than I would go to the ratting table for to see what the requirements for 50% is and see what matches up with what %. Most of all this ratting stuff is "subjective experiences." You need to emphasize the criteria that matches as close to the upped % you are seeking and leave the rest to the examiner. Don't try to BS them most of them have been doing this for a min. or two. (I think some of the are workers comp doc's by the way they act. and they have see it all.)

• Community Owner
On 2/1/2023 at 8:45 AM, asdf said:

If you haven't started it already, go on your phone and download a free migraine log and keep it updated.  This will help during your C&P when they ask about frequency of the migraines.  It is much better to state the exact dates you had them than to say I have them once or twice a week. 

That is good advice.