VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

National Guard during Desert Storm eligibility

Rate this question

drago

Question

Hi Everyone,

I'm asking this for a friend of mine who is struggling with getting accurate info about his eligibility for VA disability compensation.

He was in the National Guard and was activated and deployed to Germany for 9 months during Desert Storm. He saw no combat, and was never in the Persian Gulf. After 9 months in Germany his unit proceeded on to Kuwait, but he returned home. He received a flyer in the mail that he may qualify for VA Health Care (which I think he does based on some reading). He feels he has a hearing loss claim as well as a few other things, but he can't come up with a clear answer as to whether he qualifies. He did talk to a VSO who does not think he will qualify disability compensation because of the nature of his deployment and the fact the unit continued on but he came home. The VSO is willing to help with a claim though with the thought that "the VA will sort it out". That of course may take a while, so he's looking for any insight in the meantime.

Any thoughts from the group or resources to look at?

Thanks in advance,

Drago

*I did do some searching, and was sure it would be here, but I couldn't find it anywhere.

Edited by drago

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

I agree with Broncovet - Drago should be eligible after serving 180 consecutive days active duty. 

https://www.nationalguard.mil/News/Article/1038989/guard-and-reserve-members-receive-veteran-status/

I was a AF Reservist deployed in DS for more than 180 days which is how I became eligible for Veterans Status.

See page 3 - 

https://www.benefits.va.gov/BENEFITS/benefits-summary/SummaryofVANationalGuardandReserve.pdf -