Jump to content
VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

 Ask Your VA Claims Question  

 Read Current Posts 

  Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

  • homepage-banner-2024-2.png

  • donate-be-a-hero.png

  • 0

Military pay and va pay

Rate this question



I was medical retired at 90 for over ten years, getting pay at 100 with IU. But Recently, I got 100% with unemployability still in my records. I was in between active and reserves, medical retired in 2014, the total amount of years was 10 years total. So my question is, can I get retirement pay with my 100% va iu together, or that’s not possible?. I’m kind of confused on that rule after I read this this from defas. Thank you to all that answers. 

Individual Unemployability

You are eligible for full concurrent receipt of both your VA disability compensation and your retired pay, if you are a military retiree who meets all of the above eligibility requirements in addition to both of the following:

  • you are rated by the VA as unemployable, generally referred to as Individual Unemployability (IU)
  • you are in receipt of VA disability compensation as a result of IU

This is effective October 1, 2008 and is retroactive to January 1, 2005. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Answers 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

2 answers to this question

Recommended Posts

  • 0

I don't think that anyone can get any type of retirement for 10 years of service. You were medical retired before 20 years of service sounds like to me.

Now if you meet the requirements for military retirement then yes you would get both. 

I could be wrong. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
  • Moderator

This should answer your questions better than I can:


It would appear, from my interpretation, that you can get both va comp and retirment pay, but, they are taxable (while VA compensation alone is not taxable).  

And, you cant get Combat related special compensation (CRSC).  But ask a lawyer if in doubt to explain it to you.  Dont take my interpretation.  

Edited by broncovet
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Create New...

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use