Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Agent Orange Award for Hypertension Granted, but at 0%

Rate this question

Max Rommel

Question

In August, under the Pact Act expansion, I filed for hypertension to be added to my Agent Orange VA benefit, which is currently at 100% (for prostate cancer). I was just notified that they have granted my award, but at zero %. (see below)

Your Benefit Information:
Service connection for hypertension associated with herbicide
exposure is granted with a 0 percent evaluation effective August 5, 2022.

Is this type of award (zero %) typical? Is it because the hypertension does not impact day to day life?

Thanks!

Edited by Max Rommel

Well congrats that you had gotten service connected for Hypertension. Now let's think about this for a moment. Do you meet the criteria for a higher rating? Did you get your c&p exam to see what was written? Did you have 3 c&p exams for hypertension? Are you prescribed medication for hypertension?

These are the things to look for so that we can appeal the decision. 

Research hypertension ratings for VA disability and see if you meet the criteria, if so, appeal the decision.

In reality, we never expected hypertention to be awarded at anything more than 0%, except in extreme cases where it might be awarded at 10%.

The real benefit comes into play when the vet is awarded at 0% and later claims conditions as secondary to the hypertention. The posibilities are endless. Heart disease, stroke, vascular imparement etc.

Great point @jamescripps2. I think that my hypertension is one of the triggers for my headaches. I think also my chronic sinusitis is also a trigger as well. Trying to get my doc to state that. 

Exactly whodat! So all that you need to do is to get the Pact Act presumtive hypertension claim filed, give it a little while, thirty days or so, and follow up with an intent to file. You will then have 1 year to get your IME, IMO or nexus letter, which ever you choose, and file the claim to seek service connection for the headaches and chronic sinusitis.

Edited by jamescripps2

I think that you need to get visibility of the c&p exam to see what the examiner had written. By your records you may qualify. But what the examiner wrote may say otherwise.

I have not done a c&p exam for hypertension but by reading, you were supposed to have 3 different readings 3 different days. Did that happen.

I do have hypertension, my PCP had issued me a machine and I have to record twice daily. My PCP uploaded my results in my doc notes. I average 160 over 100. I am on meds.