Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Agent Orange Award for Hypertension Granted, but at 0%

Rate this question

Max Rommel

Question

In August, under the Pact Act expansion, I filed for hypertension to be added to my Agent Orange VA benefit, which is currently at 100% (for prostate cancer). I was just notified that they have granted my award, but at zero %. (see below)

Your Benefit Information:
Service connection for hypertension associated with herbicide
exposure is granted with a 0 percent evaluation effective August 5, 2022.

Is this type of award (zero %) typical? Is it because the hypertension does not impact day to day life?

Thanks!

Edited by Max Rommel

Follow up! Thanks everyone for your replies and advice. I filed for hypertension under the Pact Act even though I was told to wait two years. In my filing told the VA that I was first treated for the condition in 1970, three years after my military discharge. My initial place of treatment was at the VA hospital in West Los Angeles. I have been treated for hypertension by private doctors ever since.

A month or so later I got a letter from the VA denying my claim. They said they couldn't locate the records from 52 years ago. I appealed asking, "So you are denying my claim because you (the VA) lost my medical records?? A few months later the VA apparently reversed themselves and gave me an appointment for a C&P exam. The doctor never actually examined me. He just reviewed my history of hypertension, asked what meds I've taken over the years, etc. Three weeks letter I was told by the VA that I was approved for hypertension "associated with herbicide," at a rating of 0%.

Based on my experience I recommend that all Vietnam vets with hypertension apply for a disability rating. As Jamescripps2 stated, a 0% rating will allow you to pursue later claims secondary to hypertension.

I’m filing for my husband now,  because I have him home on hospice now!  And they have gi given him about 2 wks  to live.  now I did find in his service records that he had high be in service.  But I do not have all of his records.  He did file for hypertension with va after departure from Coast Gauard.  My husband was in the navy and vetnaim on boaters then on land with coastal serveilance out of Danang. I have to Ck on date which he was approved for diabetes in 98 but for some reason I believe the va has it as 2003.   He aws diagonosised at a small va clinic in north ar. He has a spot on his liver and his kidneys have failed completely, he has a pig valve in his heart that was put there in 2013 and it is not closing again.  He is backing up in his stomach with a cites, has had his stomach drained four times and each time they have gotten 6 litres out.  He had 2 strokes  at the same time. Which caused him some trembling and he could not use his right leg after.  He never had bad liver enzymes until the last part of nov. After he started on Zoloft, which about a mouth after he’d had a seizure.  I don’t know  what caused the liver failure,  but things just moved quickly after that.  Doctors said they don’t think it was the meds.  Now one guy said even if I file he could not get an increase because he is already 100% pt.  An Mother guy told me to file if they approve it with a percentage they would adjust his rating from the time they got the first claim until he started receiving 100%.  Ok I have another quest if he passes before April 1 will I get to keep his va Ck for 100% for March?  And how long will it take to get dic started.  And can someone  suggest what all I can get?  I don’t want to sound like I’m money grabbing but I still have a mortgage etc.  on Aug 31 it would be 55 yrs for us.  I cannot believe all the things going thru my mind.  Thank you all for. Always answering my prayers.  Let me add my husband had an eight yr break in service from navy to Coast Guard.  For those eight yrs he was a police officer in st. Louis for yrs and eight in Waco Tx. For four yrs.