Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Getting a scooter

Rate this topic

• HadIt.com Elder

I wanted the scooter to be able to navigate the VAMC in Tampa.  It is a mighty long walk to get to the hospital in summer. I use the store scooter when I shop at Publix.  My feet are so bad I can't stand for more than a few minutes without real pain.  I got 40% for each foot.  I know I got to keep walking if possible.  I guess if I lost about 50 lbs. I would not be in such pain, but the bad feet led to the weight gain and vice-versa.  I have PN as well.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you are denied a scooter, be adament about it and you will get one. They would rather talk you out of it but just insist on it.

it's not just pain,  my heart is working very hard, like it is going to explode.. and I am either going to have a stroke or a heart attack.. don't get me wrong, if I can walk I will. but it becomes unbearable often.

I have had a scooter for eight years now. I just, last month, complained that it was getting old and unreliable. They sent a consult to prostetics who, in turn, replaced the batteries on my scooter. Batteries did not fix the problem. I complained again and a new scooter has been ordered along with a new replacement scooter lift for my Ford explorer. They included a new scooter cover and a new cane holder. Good communication is key in obtaining anything from the VA. Communicate your needs and prepare to be adamant about it if need be. Don't take no for an answer from anyone as you can go over, under, around or through that person to get what you need. A scooter must be a need, not just a want. Have your cardiologist confirm that it is indeed a need and ask your PCP for a consult based upon that confirmed need and you will get your scooter. 

Edited by jamescripps2