Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Medical question

Rate this question

Whodat

Question

Greetings all.

Here is the deal. I am getting ready to go up under the knife for my service connected disability. The doc says that it might six months to a year to heal. Can I get a temporary 100 and if so, how do I go about getting that. 

Thanks. 

All good info. I am service connected for my shoulder at 20. Hurts like hell. Have done pt, meds etc and now I am doing some stuff called Alpha Stim. We will see how that goes.

I was recommended by my primary care for community care being that my VAMC do not have orthopedic services.

The CC doc recommended shots which I have had in the past as well as surgery to clean the bone up. 

I just want it fix. Tired of masking the pain. 

My knee surgeon said, "you will come to me" when you are ready, Im not here to convince you to do surgery.  

There are always risks.  Bleeding risks.  Anesthesia risks.  Infection risks.  Any one of those can be fatal in some cases.  

There is also a risk the (implanted device, if applicable, such as my knee) wears out prematurely, fails, screws come loose, etc.  My surgeon made me well aware of risks, as they should.  If they promise you the world, with no risks, watch out!  There ARE risks to EVERY surgery.  When you open the skin with a knife, you are exposed to bacteria infection.  Further, you are put under anesthesia, and not everyone recovers from this.  

Not trying to scare you, just be informed.  Dont be like I was with a VSO..."you should get approved in 6 months or less".  That was in 2002.  I finally got my benefits in 2019..17 years later.  

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

@Whodat Did they give you the alpha stim probes or did they also include the ear clips? I got both. It helps to turn the volume down on the pain, but not a cure. Yep, I got tired of masking the pain, too...

@broncovet Good points. And don't forget the potential side effects of any meds to treat post-surgery. My ortho doc gave me Vioxx, a strong NSAID. Of course, that got pulled from the market due to being related to heart issues. Those of us who had heart attacks also cannot take NSAIDs long-term due to cardiac risks...
  I did have another surgery on a limg, but ended up getting angioedema and urticaria. All of the other scars look fine except a big scary one from the swelling... Skin is the first barrier to infection.

@Vync I have been issued the whole kit with Stim probes with ear clips and some type of liquid solution..

The VA swears by it and says that it helps with pain, insomnia, and depression.  Will see. 

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

@Whodat That's promising. I recently received a replacement along with a separate TENS unit. If you use the ear clips, just consider doing it earlier in the day. If I use it in the evening, I lay awake much more than usual. Don't use it while driving. There should be a DVD or video included, or you can find it on the alpha stim site. Worth the time to watch it. I hope it gives you some form of relief.