VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

PCAFC

Bluntly

Question

Greetings to all and hope that all is well as can be. I just received a letter in the mail in regards to the caregiver program. The letter just states that they received my appeal that was on Jan. 24th 2022 and are working to complete it in a timely fashion. Anyone else has an appeal going on for this? And if so how’s the timeline looking? In regards to this correspondence. I just wanted to get a little insight on the appeal process. Thanks for your time and any replies are much appreciated.

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

Before we could "venture a guess", we would need to know which appeal you did?

BVA?

HLR?

Etc.  

Even then, it is always a guess.  If you have appealed to the BVA, then you are probably around 2-5 years.  

If its a HLR, then you may see that done in a year, but then its highly likely you have to go to the board, for another several years.  

But you could get lucky.  Are you pro se?  VSO?  Attorney?  When did you appeal?  Legacy? AMA?  

We need to know more to even guess.  The BVA chairmans report lists "average times", but your's could be longer or shorter than the average, by a wide margin.  

As far as the BVA (year 2021, the most recent available), it shows (The BVA chairmans report explains these numbers, at least somewhat:  

501 days

39 days

228 days

358 days

260 days

Total 1386 days, but that does not count VARO implementation, which can be 2 months to 24 months extra. 

1386 days is 3.79 years.  Source: BVA chairmans report, year 2021.  It could well take longer now, this data is more than a year old.  

:https://www.bva.va.gov/docs/Chairmans_Annual_Rpts/BVA2021AR.pdf

Realistically, its probably gonna take 4 or 5 years.  That is about my average..I have been to the BVA 4 times, and it took about 20 years in total.  

Yea, its "more than a little bit frustrating" for all of us.  

Edited by broncovet

PCAFC cases are worked by the VHA CEAT teams. The same is true on up through the 0996 HLR and 0995 Supplemental claims for PCAFC cases. PCAFC cases are not worked by the VBA until a veteran files a VAF 10182, asking the BVA to hear the case. Those PCAFC claims go much faster. I went through six appeals inside of eighteen months before finally being granted at the BVA. My case was at the BVA for less than three months before being granted.

One of my appeals was worked by the VISN 8 Ceat team and was denied in less than twenty four hours after the appeal was submitted to the VAMC Nashville Patient Advocate.

About 99.99% of the PCAFC cases going to the BVA are remanded back to the VHA for prompt addjudication with a "expedite this claim" order by the BVA Judge.

You can read more on what I have to say about CPAFC at my web site.

vatheredneckway.wordpress.com

We were initially denied PCAFC in November 2022. We appealed to BVA on December 30, 2022. BVA Remanded on March 7, 2023, We received a letter stating the errors listed in the Remand were being reviewed and we shoulld expect a new decision in accordance with the manner of timeliness of our BVA Appeal. My Veteran husband is an 81-year-old Vietnam purple Heart Veteran, Agent Orange Exposed. 100% Disabled Homebound. His age is the factor which caused the BVA to view his appeal in a timely manner. However, it has been 6 months since BVA's Remand decision, and we still have no further response. BVA was time efficient but the local or the folks in Janesville which seems like some type elusive Never-Never Land have not been as timely as BVA. So, to that end, we have not been notified still at this point. We are still in limbo waiting for a finalized decision. 

By the way, appealing directly to BVA in lieu of going through the appeal process with CEAT was learned/credited through the advice of James Cripps on the Exposed Vet Podcast and reading his Blog, VA THE REDNECKWAY.

It is indeed, my being able to help people like Vet Wife that keeps me involved. I thrive on the success of others. One has to have been there and walked the same path in order to fully understand the plight of others. PCAFC, because it is adjudicated by the VHA, and not the DVA, is a difficult and much different process than a run of the mill claim. . There is too much incorect information being supplied about applying and appealing a CPAFC case, and that includes information being supplied here at hadit. Thanks for allowing me to outline the correct path for your appeal process. Thank you for listening to my advice on the Exposed Vet Podcast, and most of all, for trusting me with such an important aspect of your life by researching my tried and proven PCAFC appeal method as I share it on vatheredneckway.com. Remember, NEVER EVER give up, because that is when you loose.