Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Chronic Pain Claim

Rate this question

tk123456789

Question

Hello, I recently made a VA claim for chronic pain due to my already existing 10% rated service connected left knee injury. I am waiting to hear back with a decision, I had the C&P and think it went ok.

My question is, since I have filed a chronic pain claim, is it possible to file for other things like PTSD and/or MST? I was speaking with a company that helps veterans and they told me I can't file a claim for PTSD or MST since I filed a claim for chronic pain which falls under mental health. 

• HadIt.com Elder

There are vets out there who think filing a claim with the VA is a sign of weakness. I have talked to guys like that and I shake my head.  I tell these guys that if they don't file and get compensation someone possibly less deserving with get it.

There are benefits for those who are injured from their time in service.  You served your country and imo your country owes you for that.  

Other vets had to fight very hard for these benefits and to not take them to me is a sign of some very bad information.

When I went into the military I had no medical issues, as most of us did not.  If we did the Military knew what they were getting.  

I wish there was better information before you got out about what these benefits are.  I did not go after mine for 10 years after I got out.

• HadIt.com Elder

I went after mine, but I got low balled and just accepted that as some kind of justice.  Little did I know that VA did not include crucial evidence.  I trusted the system and got screwed.  I did not appeal back in 1973, so I got 10% for a condition that should have gotten 100%.  No one told me to appeal especially not my VSO.  It was just a mess in those days.  It is still a mess.

So the VA won't look at the diagnosis from the chronic pain and then try to reduce the rating if their diagnosis of the PTSD or MST is less severe?

It really depends on the symptoms in your records. Even though veterans need a diagnosis, ratings percentages are based on symptoms. In some cases, the VA can use chronic pain to increase a mental health rating and in other cases, the VA could award you a separate rating of fibromyalgia. These are two separate ratings that a veteran can have without pyramiding. I am rated for a service-connected mood disorder and a separate rating for service-connected fibromyalgia. 

My intentions are to help, my advice maybe wrong, be your own advocate and know what is in your C-File and the 38 CFR that governs your disabilities and conditions.

Do your own homework. No one knows the veteran’s symptoms like the veteran. Never Give Up.

I do not give my consent for anyone to view my personal VA records.

• Community Owner
On 4/28/2023 at 4:40 PM, john999 said:

There are vets out there who think filing a claim with the VA is a sign of weakness. I have talked to guys like that and I shake my head.  I tell these guys that if they don't file and get compensation someone possibly less deserving with get it.

john999 I agree with you. I wish I had a $1 for ever time I talk to a Vet that said that they didn't want to go on Government benefits and treat it like food stamps. I could fund this site for 2 or 3 years. There is so much band information out there it makes me mad. 

john999 have you tried  to file a CUE claim to get your back benefits? They can be filed at any time to get your back pay. I did and got over 3 years of back pay @ 100%.  I will PM you and I can help you walk you through it when I can get back on me Big PC and off this laptop.

sherkthetank1 "You served your country and IMO your country owes you for that. "

You said it right this is not workers comp to pay you for the injury you received. It is to condensate veterans for there loss of income due to there services connected conditions that reduce there earning potential not for there injury.  It's a hard concept to get across to people. 

• Community Owner
On 4/28/2023 at 6:42 AM, tk123456789 said:

Hello Rattler thank you for the link and the kind words. 

I guess my next question is, since I recently just filed the claim for chronic pain is it better to wait until I get a decision and possible rating for that before I send in a claim for PTSD and MST?

I would at least file an intent to file claim to preserver a date so you can get some back pay. I would get a my docs together before I file as it will go much quicker to get rated. File the PTSD/MST as one claim as it will get worked as different that a regular PTSD claim. 

If you have access to a scanner so you can scan doc's the quickest way you can upload info to the VA is through this site.

http://access.va.gov