Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Secondary claim based on bi lateral knee replacement

Rate this question

Sandy

Question

I have service connected for bilateral knee replacement surgery. I would like to file a claim based on secondary condition from that.  I wonder if I could make a claim for the following:

I have had my right hip replaced and will probably have to have the left done as well, have severe arthritis in both feet and ankles, had spinal stenosis surgery but that has not helped with the pain, can not get down on hands and knees - to painful on the knees, restless leg syndrome in both legs which I take medication for and because I am having a very hard time walking, standing just anything due to the pain in my legs all the time. And I developed lymphoma. 

• Answers 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

2 answers to this question

Apply.  Its going to boil down to "evidence".  Did your doctor say that, for example, the injury to your right knee, also caused trouble with the left?  (It often does).  

I suggest "caution" in "applying for secondary", but instead "apply" for "knee issues" both primary and secondary to already SC condtions.  Why?  Because doctors differ on their opinions.  

Doc A may say, "your left knee condition is secondary to your right knee condition".  

However, Doc B may say, "Your knee condition is from poor blood flow due to diabetes."

Doc C, may think your knee problems were due to jumping out of airplanes, that they are both primary.  

Yes, VA is supposed to figure this all out, but you dont want a denial because YOU applied for R knee conditions secondary to left knee, if you happen to get Doc C, above.  

When I apply, I apply for "knee conditions, both primary and secondary to SC conditions and presumpives as well".  Dont burn down any bridges you have not yet crossed yet.  

Even "if" your doc says, "yep, your left knee is bad because of your right knee" (secondary to left knee), the c and p doc could offer a far different opinion.  

• HadIt.com Elder

While you are at it start seeing a VA shrink and eventually apply for depression.  If you are crippled up you are probably pretty unhappy about it.