Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Like the BVA the VA.GOV website can be your friend

Rate this question

Dustoff1970

Question

Okay I may be a fortunate son exception but for the past 3 or more years the VA.GOV website has been extremely helpful, accurate and timely in notifying me correctly of both my VARO claims and BVA appeals grants for various major claims and medical disabilities ratings and just like the BVA.  I say this because there is a constant bashing and dismissing of the VA.GOV website by other vets on other forums and advisors that is so misleading to vets. I trust the mods will notice I did not mention any forum or vet names so there can be no basis for a defamation lawsuit. Shish.  And yes, some human person is inputting this information into the system/VA.GOV website.

Of course your mileage may vary.

After VA.GOV posted a grant of my claims/appeals I then received in the mail about 11 days later the actual paper decisions (very quick).  Over the years both VARO and BVA adjudicators has learned that I submit clearly defined claims with substantial amount of evidence to support my contentions in a well-organized and logical manner.  Self taught successful vet here and I like to pass on my positive methods here to others where APPROPRIATE!!!!  According to thankful replies I have helped more than a few vets on this and other forums that is very rewarding to me.  No misinformation or censorship by me.

This comment is not legal advice as I am not a lawyer, paralegal or tiny v s o.

perkinsmyVietnamawardsdecorationsmedalsribbonincludingwingsandCMB.jpg.dfc4e09f61903ff61f93906e6bbacf85.jpg

Edited by Dustoff1970

4 answers to this question

Great, dustoff:  My negative experience with VA websites is generally from "much more" than 3 years ago, but more like about 20 years ago and "up to" 2020.  Im pleased to see that the VA websites have improved, and I agree and noticed it also.   Im also glad you posted this.  

For example, until rather recently, you "could not" download a varo decision, but instead got on ebenefits or va.gov a rather simple, incomplete, or even missing summary of what the decision so stated.  For example, it was difficult to determine an effective date on va websites...it often gave the "effective date" as "the effective date of the last cola" which was not all that helpful.  Your effective date may have been July 2005, but the websites would often say, "dec.1, 2022" instead, the date of the last cola.  

Since most of us know the "effective date of the most recent Cola", it was not helpful to give us that as an "effective date".  The effective date of the most recent cola is almost always "Dec. 1" of the previous year. (2022).  

Now that you can download the vARO decision, that is much, much improved, and more precise.  Im not sure when VA started giving vets the ability to download a decision, but Im fairly certain I could not download my decision dated in 2020.  

Edited by broncovet

• Greeter

Yes over the years the sites had improved. Hopefully they keep working on them. For me I still use eben for something but the Va has shifted to Va.gov. They both have their uses. I just wish the would better organize things when it comes to posting awards. Because all to often you have to shuffle through other documents that are posted. To me va.gov has been great as far as submitting evidence in which I don’t have to go to the regional office or mail in. Granted I had some hiccups about my imo dbq but I believe that to be a Va error to the rater. My attorney believes I have a valid case of cue for the raters not getting my claim fully in 2014 even though my cfile shows they were submitted way ahead of time. 

I just very recently downloaded my very recent VARO decision letter continuing my 60% rating for Nam AO Ischemic Heart disease.  The actual paper decision has not arrived in regular mail yet from the VARO.  Also have downloaded many VA decision letters from the VA.GOV website for past many years to the 80s.  Many vets do not know this.

With a premium account a vet can view their Claims and Appeals status on VA.GOV then click on the blue letter link for decision letters embedded in the last or latest Claim or Appeal status block.  Then a whole list of the letters will appear in descending order by recent date to older dates.  Good stuff with no more waiting on snell mail.

My comment is not legal advice as I am not a lawyer, paralegal or VSO

Edited by Dustoff1970

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

@Dustoff1970 Once the ability to download the letters went live, I downloaded everything which was available. After careful review, I realized that a number of decision letters were not there at all, but they are in my c-file (confirmed when I received a copy a few years ago). I think that however they are cataloging the documents, something got missed or misfiled. I know for certain that a lot of things in my c-file were not stored properly. Probably same issue here.

"If it's stupid but works, then it isn't stupid."
- From Murphy's Laws of Combat

Disclaimer: I am not a legal expert, so use at own risk and/or consult a qualified professional representative. Please refer to existing VA laws, regulations, and policies for the most up to date information.