Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

VA sending DBQ to my private provider?

Rate this question

IndySam

Question

Hi,

I have a question about DBQs I guess, does the VA send them to private providers? I asked about the status of my claim and this was the VAs response, which confused me. I thought the VA only looked at medical records and/or requested a C&P, I thought DBQs were initiated by the veteran.

"The claim is currently in the development phase of processing. This is the phase where evidence is gathered to decide on the claim. There are open requests for Disability Benefits Questionnaires (DBQs) for the Back, Sinusitis, Rhinitis, Hypertension, Esophageal Disorders, Hematologic and Lymphatic Conditions."

Back is VA Hospital

Sinusitis, Rhinitis is a Private allergy Doctor

Esophageal Disorders is VA hospital

Hematologic and Lymphatic Conditions is Family Doctor

Thanks a lot!!

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Posted Images

6 answers to this question

• Community Owner

To my knowledge they do not you have to provide them to your doc. brokensoldier244th may have a better answer for you as he processes claims for the ratters. The VA may send them to your doc as a follow up to an independent medical opinion but I have never experienced it.

DBQs are the reports filled out for any condition that it claimed, usually by VA providers or contract providers. Private providers do not get them unless you provide them, otherwise we look at whatever medical documentation you submit from your private provider, or authorize us to obtain via a 21-4142/4142a authorization to release records. We can still take your medical records and submit them internally for a records review by a VA clinician for an 'opinion only' or for a non-contact exam where they just review your records. Privately submitted DBQs, on their face, are deemed with the same evidentiary weight as one done by the VA, unless your doctor goes into the weeds and writes up something totally non-plausible.

Also, if you have a private DBQ it is IMPERATIVE that your doctor write an 'opinion' also, i.e. a reasons and basis for WHY they filled out the DBQ that way AND how it connects to your military service (which, hopefully, you have provided at least some military STRs to them if you have them). They would then have to write an opinion of "at least as likely as not" (over 50% related to service) or "less likely than not" (less than 50% related to service. Preferably using that verbiage since it is what is in the regulation. It doesn't have to word for word but a DBQ with an opinion carries more weight than one without. Remember, VA Raters and VSRs are NOT medical people. We can't diagnose, treat, or interpret/infer things that aren't there. If your doctor  doesn't write it down with an opinion it makes it a lot more difficult because the DBQs themselves don't have an opinion on them unless its written in, or supplied separately. 

Edited by brokensoldier244th

8 minutes ago, Rattler said:

To my knowledge they do not you have to provide them to your doc. brokensoldier244th may have a better answer for you as he processes claims for the ratters. The VA may send them to your doc as a follow up to an independent medical opinion but I have never experienced it.

Heh, working right now, actually, until noon. 

"you haul 16 tons (claims) what do you get......"

• Community Owner

"you haul 16 tons (claims) what do you get......" No respect except hear.

Ok.  2 options here:

1.  Filled out DBQ.  No.  This is part of YOUR private records, and VA wont release your (medical information, to include a filled out DBQ), unless you sign a release of information.  You have control on who gets to see your medical records, of course, other than VA.  If one has been filled out for you at the VA, you can go to your medical records release of information office, at your VAMC, and, after signing a release, you may be able to walk out with a copy to give to your doctor.   My VAMC will hand a few copied pages of their medical records to Veterans who request same.  However, if you want your entire medical record, or over, say, a dozen pages, my VAMC policy is to mail it to you, again, after you sign a release of information.  

2.  Blank form, not filled out.   The VA is unlikely to provide your doctor a "blank" DBQ.    But, YOU can try to find a blank DBQ perhaps even here at hadit, and copy it and send it to your doctor to fill out at your discretion.  And, if your doctor does complete the DBQ on you, then you can submit this as evidence.  

You can try finding the one for your applicable condition(s) at the link below, print it, and send it to your

private care doctor.  https://www.benefits.va.gov/compensation/dbq_publicdbqs.asp

Edited by broncovet

With my two recent successful appeals for OSA secondary to PTSD and VN AO IHD/CAD Ischemic Heart disease increase to 60% the outstanding private fee doctor did not provide a DBQ but instead a 5 page IMO opinion with reasons and basis for his favorable opinion in my favor.  He also provide many pages of reputable medical references as a back up to his conclusions.

Additionally he provided a copy of the VA C&P Examiner's DBQ that the doctor then criticized  and disagreed with on the important negative findings of the VA examiner.  

Both the doctor and the BVA decision referred to his opinion as an IMO.  Seems to be a sticking point with a few present and former VA raters who disagree with vets referring to private Drs opinion as IMOs.  But that is there government hang-up.

combine perkins and purple heart cap with ph award.jpg

Edited by Dustoff1970